Lycanthropy and hemophilia porphyric
issueid=57 05-12-2008 07:02 AM
Number of reported issues by Fullmoon: 4
Lycanthropy and hemophilia porphyric
Can it be possible to became a werewolf?

In Ancardia exist werewolves, wererats and vampires. As we all know (from descriptions in ADOM) there are former humans (I mean, sentient beings).

So. Why can't PC become, for example, a werewolf? Remember, for example, Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall. I do not mean creating a race of werewolves like in Slash'em.

Now, how I see it.

Werewolves.
Ability to shapeshift - free but forced at full moon, at will but for some PP in other nights (maybe disabled in daytime/new moon?), PC drop everything he wear except rings/neck/girdle, increased speed and battle abilities, but only weapon is fangs.
Increased regeneration and resistance to poison/sickness, protection from bleeding.
PC CAN be good, but CAN'T be lawful. So alignment in chaos-law drop to NC at least.
Significantly increased damage from silver and lawful creatures. Problems within cities - people dislike werewolves. And hunt them.

Wererats. ?
--------- see werewolves ---------
(As for me - I dislike it.)

Werecats. ?
^_^ Just imagine that PC becomes one of Cat Lord subjects.

Vampires.
Ability to drain HP, stats (your stats temporarily increased).
Better regeneration.
Protection from sickness, death rays.
Speed increased.
Hunger - you can eat only blood. And only by draining HP of warm-blooded creatures.
Problems with holy water and good/lawful altars.
Increased damage from good and lawful creatures. Takes some damage or decreased stats in wilderness.
Alignment only E-C or E-CN
Social problems - see werewolves.

Now, how PC becomes one? As for werecreatures - in fight with them, with VERY low probability, maybe when receiving critical damage or when bleeding. As for vampires - for example, when PC low of HP and vampire drains him. And again, with very low probability.

And at last,

Ring of Hircine - artifact ring, gives ability to shapeshift freely.

Other ideas?
Issue Details
Issue Number 57
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-12-2008 12:18 PM
Ancient Member
This seems like lifting from the Elder Scrolls games far too much for my tastes. Not that I dislike the ES series, I just don't like seeing other RPGs copying it wholesale.

05-12-2008 01:09 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
This seems like lifting from the Elder Scrolls games far too much for my tastes. Not that I dislike the ES series, I just don't like seeing other RPGs copying it wholesale.

Bah... Werethings and vampires are not taken from any rpg, those are all legends and mythical creatures..

05-12-2008 03:00 PM
Ancient Member
I think that those statuses, if included, should be acquirable only through quests.

And in any case, vampire covens in cities should be included!

05-12-2008 05:52 PM
Ancient Member
The ability to change shape is one of the features mentioned in the old JADE site.

05-12-2008 08:57 PM
I don't like the 'scientifical' explanation of vampires and shape-shifters. Their origin in a blood disease is IMO totally out of place in medieval fantasy. For me Lycanthropia is a curse of powerful magic, which can exist even before the affected person's birth. And vampirism is a form of un-life (or undeath).
So in order to become a vampire one must be killed and brought back by another vampire. And werewolves are people with a terrible curse. Blood virus is good for steampunk or cyberpunk universe!

05-13-2008 11:13 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Ars
I think that those statuses, if included, should be acquirable only through quests.
Well, you see, I can't imagine a situation in 'real life' in Ancardia, where someone in sane mind will offer such quest. Or it is mine conception of word 'quest'?

Quote Originally Posted by reich
I don't like the 'scientifical' explanation of vampires and shape-shifters. Their origin in a blood disease is IMO totally out of place in medieval fantasy. For me Lycanthropia is a curse of powerful magic, which can exist even before the affected person's birth. And vampirism is a form of un-life (or undeath).
So in order to become a vampire one must be killed and brought back by another vampire. And werewolves are people with a terrible curse. Blood virus is good for steampunk or cyberpunk universe!
I thought, that in my explanation there weren't any scientifical details, only ideas for features those statuses would consist of.
About origins of lycanthropia - well, there are different versions.
About vampirism - I thought, that it would be difficult to handle death of PC without endind game. If it can be done - why not.

And yes, sorry for bad english.

05-14-2008 07:17 PM
I voted for. I havn't really thought about the wherewolves and jackalwheres in ADoM.
I think you really should be able to turn into a wherewolf and/or vampire, but absolutely not any of the others. They are just silly.
I think the player should be able to catch vampirism by being bitten, then slowly transforming. You should be able to turn into a wherewolf in a similar matter.

+ Reply