Debian 8 will not be able to run ADOM Noteye as currently built/packaged
issueid=2410 10-24-2013 01:39 AM
Number of reported issues by Alucard: 22
Debian 8 will not be able to run ADOM Noteye as currently built/packaged
Ubuntu could follow

ADOM for Linux with NotEye depends on libvga.so.1, which on Debian 6+7* is provided by the libsvga1 package. However, this package has been removed[1][2] from Unstable and Testing (what will be Debian 8 some time in 2015). So it affects those who run testing/unstable (like me on my laptop) now, though it won't affect Debian 6 or 7 users ever, at least until everyone is off of them.

Apparently, use of this library is frowned upon by some:
Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hutchings
isn't it time we quietly got rid of this library? Video memory and mode setting should be managed by the kernel, not by applications. It's bad enough that we had the X server doing this for years (and still do on some hardware).
So this is a warning that some other method, or way of providing libvga.so.1, may need to be found on Linux. I haven't found any evidence Ubuntu is also removing libsvga1, but as they generally follow Debian, they could as well.

* As of this submission: Debian 6 is aka Squeeze and Oldstable; Debian 7 is aka Wheezy and Stable; Debian 8 is aka Jessie and Testing; and as always, Debian Unstable is aka Sid.
[1] Last messages confirm it
[2] Package search for libsvga1 (see the lack of jessie/sid for [i386/amd64])
Issue Details
Issue Number 2410
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Fixed Version ADOM r58
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-29-2015 05:11 PM
Issue Changed by jt