Crash/freeze (sometimes) when casting spells
issueid=4028 11-18-2015 11:21 PM
Number of reported issues by rkaid: 5
Crash/freeze (sometimes) when casting spells
The game sometimes (rarely) crashes/freezes upon casting an offensive spell

I've experienced this at least 3 times now in the Steam version of the game on Arch Linux 64-bit.
Here's what happens:
I cast an offensive spell, the sound is played, but the animation is not. The first square in the direction I'm casting the spell gets a red overlay on the tile, and then the game stops there. No keys do anything - except left shift which shows the little tooltip above characters.
The mouse doesn't work either, but I haven't tried clicking any of the icons on the far right hand side of the screen.
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug with any consistency, neither have I seen a pattern, so I don't know any possible cause, but it has so far only happened with offensive spells (bolt spells, magic missile).
I believe I have only had this happen with spells set to a quickmark, but I usually always have offensive spells quickmarked, so that may or may not be a part of the problem.

As said, when this happens I can't do anything and have to kill the process and start over at previous (auto)save.
I'll add to this report if I find out anything more.

Edit: I see this message: "anim_id isn't set for anchor != location, anchor = being" in my adom.log

Edit: See other comments/replies here, this is happening to several other people, and might be Linux specific. Happens with and without quickmarks. Changed priority to 1 - highest.
I just completely lost a new character because of this bug (on R63), apparently I hadn't played long enough for an autosave to kick in (character was Gray Elf Wizard, was only a few levels into the druid dungeon, so no big loss, but still.)
Issue Details
Issue Number 4028
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux (Steam)
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Fixed Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users jt, Zeno
Tags (none)

11-21-2015 06:37 PM
Issue Changed by rkaid
  • summary changed from The game sometimes (very rarely) crashes/freezes upon casting an offensive spell to The game sometimes (rarely) crashes/freezes upon casting an offensive spell
  • Priority changed from 2 to 1 - Highest
  • Applicable version changed from ADOM r61 to ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)

11-22-2015 04:50 PM
Issue Changed by adom-admin
  • User assignments modified
  • Milestone changed

12-07-2015 08:46 PM
Issue Changed by jt
  • Status changed from Unconfirmed to Fixed
  • Issue marked as addressed
  • Addressed version changed from Unknown to ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)

+ Reply