[RFE] Introduce potions of reflective substance
issueid=1759 01-15-2013 09:45 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] Introduce potions of reflective substance

When thrown, they could turn a given surface into a reflecting one, which means that it will bounce spells while it normally does not (doors).
If thrown at a monster it could act in the same way, the monster would reflect (for some limited time perhaps) elemental spells back in the direction they came from, or a random direction.

If you dip your shield in it, you can reflect hostile spells as well (even your own), until it wears off, perhaps with similar mechanics to poisoning a weapon for a single poisoning blow.
A single bolt would be reflected but the reflective layer would be destroyed in the process.

If the random reflection happens in a corridor, there's a chance the bolt will bounce between two walls and kill the PC in the middle (or deal damage similarly to already existing cause of innumerable YASDs, mine included)
Perhaps there should be a chance to find items already dipped in the substance - those would have to be examined before equipping, to determine their status.

The chance/amount of spells reflected could be dependent on how many items have been dipped (2 shields, armor, maybe gloves/helmet). The direction would be random because of so many irregular and differently angled surfaces on the worn items.
At the same time it would be impossible to sneak around (stealth skill) due to excessive reflections and glittering.

Since reflective substance would most likely be some sort of naturally occurring liquid metal, like mercury, it would amplify lightning/shock damage instead of reflecting it, due to higher electrical conductance.
That way you could throw it at a monster and then electrocute it for extra damage maybe?

Casting light spell in dark areas with one or more items worn with the substance on them would increase the radius of the spell due to reflections; similarly casting darkness would reduce its effectivity with such items around.
I suppose there are other potential uses only limited by imagination. What do you think?
Issue Details
Issue Number 1759
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-15-2013 09:55 AM
Ancient Member
What happens when you drink it? That should be the first consideration of a potion!

01-15-2013 12:45 PM
Nice idea, however admin would probably like to see more coherent (f.ex. when thrown at a monster) and concrete suggestions.
When you drink it, for some time you vomit every time when you eat or drink something.

01-15-2013 12:47 PM
Ancient Member
not a fan of the idea...it doesn't really make much sense, and I think it has the potential to make some fights (archmage) much too easy if you happen to find one.

01-15-2013 01:32 PM
My main concern is that it's trying to add a significant new mechanic into the game that doesn't really add anything significant in terms of gameplay value, either in terms of making it more fun or making it easier or harder. I'm not even sure it adds to the feel of the world.

If anything, in my opinion, this should be moved over to ADOM II, where these sorts of ideas are being incorporated. I could even see this reflectiveness property being made into a significant part of that game.

01-15-2013 01:33 PM
Maybe call it "potion of mirror coating" or "...mirror sheen". Something that's been dipped might have an (r) suffix to indicate reflective, analogous to the current (p) suffix for poison. Or maybe (m) for mirrored.

Or better yet, (s) for silvered, and weapons so dipped would deal extra damage to were- creatures. Wasn't silver the original substance used in the creation of mirrors?

Mmm, "potion of silver-mercury amalgam." I like it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror#History

01-15-2013 11:27 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
What happens when you drink it? That should be the first consideration of a potion!
Personally, if I saw a vial that contained a metal-looking potion, the last thing I would think about would be to drink it. Do you drink a potion of rust removal?
Probably not due to its obvious purpose, unless of course you really want to.
"You drink the potion of *foo*. Quaffing this vile potion makes you vomit instantly!"
Isn't that a typical reaction to drinking a potion that should be all but drank?

+ Reply