Folder used for memorial files under windows.
issueid=1762 01-15-2013 01:27 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
Folder used for memorial files under windows.

The prereleases so far use the folder "user/local settings/application data" to store all data such as savegames, memorial files, screenshots, etc etc. However, this folder is not very user friendly as the folder can be quite a challenge to find. The folder is normally impossible to access under windows, you have to enable "show hidden folders" to see it. If you're on a shared machine, good chance you won't have permission at all to go there.

Now for savegames it's arguably a good idea to hide them away, but memorial files, screenshots and so on should be easy to access. Not to mention the .prc file that you may have to delete to be able to run the game after a crash. At the very least, it should be explained in the manual where to find the folder.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1762
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-15-2013 07:36 PM
Ancient Member
I have reported something similar in the past: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1184

Honestly, I strongly prefer the old method of simply creating the adom_dat directory where the executable is, which made your ADOM install portable and didn't cause "where are my savegames" situations... but apparently using the %Localappdata% directory has technical advantages.

01-15-2013 07:43 PM
Ancient Member
Maybe memorial, screenshots and log files atleast can have an easier path.

+ Reply