Failing to catch doesn't happen any more.
issueid=1777 01-16-2013 07:27 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
Failing to catch doesn't happen any more.

My archer got crowned with it and from playtesting, I believe it's too good now that it returns. It will sometimes fail to return, but not often. And you will never fail to catch it (bug?). It's reloaded for no extra energy cost. That means it gets close to acting like an infinite stack of extremely good missiles. Not exactly the same because it will eventually fail to return, but still close.

There are many possible ways to tweak. One option would be to make catching it fail sometimes.

EDIT:
More testing showed that the problem happens with other weapons too.

If you use a returning weapon (doesn't matter which one), you never get "you fail to catch it" any more, that I noticed. This does not depend on the weapon you use. This should be a bug report and not a feature request.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1777
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-16-2013 07:45 PM
Ancient Member
It just went from junk to something not completely disappointing to receive as a (pre)crowning gift, and you already want to nerf it?

01-16-2013 07:57 PM
Ancient Member
I didn't mean to say returning is a problem in itself but there never existed any returning weapons before that you'll never fail to catch. I suspect this is a bug.

01-16-2013 07:58 PM
Ancient Member
If it seems too powerful, I'd prefer to have the damage toned down a little rather than increasing the rate of return failure. I haven't tested yet, so I don't know for sure that this is necessary. I mean, is it really stronger than, say, throwing the RCT?

01-16-2013 08:03 PM
Ancient Member
As far as I tried throwing the trident, my impression was it will work maybe 4 times if your dex is good and then fail. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I didn't try it much.)

It can fail in two ways: it can fail to return and you can fail to catch it.

With True Aim, one of these never happens and the other rarely. From what I saw, it seems you will on average shoot about 30 - 50 times before you need to retrieve it. To me it does seem much better than RCT.

edit: I tested RCT with the same character and now it looks like you will never fail to catch that, either. So this should be a bug report that isn't about True Aim but about all returning weapons. I edited my post and the title. Sorry for the confusion.

01-16-2013 09:42 PM
Sounds like a feature, IMO. Have you tried with non-artifact weapons? Dagger of Returning? Boomerang?

01-16-2013 11:23 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble
As far as I tried throwing the trident, my impression was it will work maybe 4 times if your dex is good and then fail. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I didn't try it much.)

It can fail in two ways: it can fail to return and you can fail to catch it.

With True Aim, one of these never happens and the other rarely. From what I saw, it seems you will on average shoot about 30 - 50 times before you need to retrieve it. To me it does seem much better than RCT.

edit: I tested RCT with the same character and now it looks like you will never fail to catch that, either. So this should be a bug report that isn't about True Aim but about all returning weapons. I edited my post and the title. Sorry for the confusion.
My memory is that catching is Dx dependent. Greater than 25? means 100%?

01-16-2013 11:45 PM
Ancient Member
I think it depended on Dx and Luck, but I recall that during testing, a character with 99 Dx, +Luck +Fate, ankh and two rings of luck still failed to catch a spear of returning after many tries.

01-17-2013 08:27 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
My memory is that catching is Dx dependent. Greater than 25? means 100%?
I had only 22 dex, so it should have failed now and then.

01-17-2013 09:37 AM
Remember that is's an alternative to, say, Far Slayer. Do you really rate it higher than this one?

+ Reply