Bring metallic item naming scheme to a single standard
issueid=3749 07-06-2015 03:10 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Bring metallic item naming scheme to a single standard

Currently there are three types of naming for items which have iron/mithril/adamantium/eternium variations:

1. No extra word for iron variations.
Examples:
most melee weapons (long sword, mithril long sword, adamantium long sword, eternium long sword)
shields (medium shield, medium mithril shield, medium adamantium shield, medium eternium shield)
body armor (chain mail, ring mail, etc.)
quarrels
scurgari

2. The word "iron" is explicitly used for iron variations.
Examples:
Boots: (iron boots, mithril boots, ...)
Quarterstaves: (iron-shod quarterstaff, mithril-shod quarterstaff)

3. The word "metal" is explicitly used for iron variations.
Examples:
Caps: (metal cap, mithril cap, ...)
Girdles: (metal girdle, mithril girdle, ...)

It would be nice to have a single standard for all items. I understand that the first approach is used where applicable, whereas the second approach is used where the actual item type would be too generic alone (having an item named "boots" is pretty silly). Honestly, I have no idea how the third approach was conceived, because it's out of place and can be easily replaced with approach #2 (IMHO).

My personal wish is to use approach #2 for all items. I don't see anything bad with slightly increasing the length of item names and think it would increase clarity of the game universe.

TL;DR;
1. Add the word "iron" to identified form of all items that have higher-metal variations (dagger -> iron dagger, chain mail -> iron chain mail).
2. Replace the word "metal" with word "iron" in identified form of items that have higher-metal variations (metal girdle -> iron girdle, metal cap -> iron cap).
Issue Details
Issue Number 3749
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r58
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-07-2015 03:03 PM
I understand the difference between #1 and #2 is that for #2 there is a logical chance of having some other material, too. Caps and boots can be made of leather, not only iron, while swords and shields are rarely made of leather, and chain/ring/plate already reveals the general material.

But yes, #2 and #3 should be standardized, preferably to "iron", since they are susceptible to rusting and not all metals rust.

07-09-2015 03:22 PM
Ancient Member
Wait, it would nerf Metallurgy skill even further, wouldn't it?

07-09-2015 05:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing
Why would it nerf metallurgy?

This is a great idea, btw, I upvoted.

07-10-2015 12:53 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing
Are you implying that Metallurgy has at least a single use in the game? ADOM is almost 20 years and new stuff comes out every now and then, amazing.

07-10-2015 06:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
Are you implying that Metallurgy has at least a single use in the game? ADOM is almost 20 years and new stuff comes out every now and then, amazing.
All I can think of is that if the items had iron in their name, you couldn't use metallurgy to identify them as being iron. Because you would already know they were.

Which is hilarious.

07-10-2015 11:32 PM
Metals are all kinds of screwed up, it really would be nice for this to be revisited a bit for a more cohesive design. I'm less frustrated by the naming convention and more by the whole "IRON IS SILVER" thing and how that plays with mist elves.

07-11-2015 02:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by psy_wombats
Metals are all kinds of screwed up, it really would be nice for this to be revisited a bit for a more cohesive design. I'm less frustrated by the naming convention and more by the whole "IRON IS SILVER" thing and how that plays with mist elves.
Now, now, don't be silly, it's silver plated. You think your god gave you real silver BoW? Hate to tell you this, but they really gave you a cheap knock off.

No, seriously, every time we have this discussion that's what someone says. That they are supposed to be silver plated.

07-11-2015 09:29 AM
Ancient Member
They are artifact bracers. They could be made from paper and would still be indestructible.
Silver should be silver, period.

07-12-2015 12:14 PM
It helps in finding ore when mining. Sure, it's only greatly useful for weaponsmiths, and it could be argued that the metalworking skills (metallurgy + smithing) could be merged into one. But for now, there is some usefulness to it :)

07-13-2015 01:35 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
It helps in finding ore when mining. Sure, it's only greatly useful for weaponsmiths, and it could be argued that the metalworking skills (metallurgy + smithing) could be merged into one. But for now, there is some usefulness to it :)
You might be confusing it with Mining which does increase ore generation. Metallurgy for weaponsmiths is arguably more insanely useless as it is completely overridden by level 25(?) class power.

08-07-2015 04:01 PM
You might be confusing it with Mining which does increase ore generation. Metallurgy for weaponsmiths is arguably more insanely useless as it is completely overridden by level 25(?) class power.
Nope. Metallurgy adds to ore chance, gemology adds to gems chance. Unless it was changed after 1.1.0, which I doubt.

+ Reply