Re-evaluate how skills are trained.
issueid=3787 08-07-2015 05:12 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Re-evaluate how skills are trained.

I have a dark elven mindcrafter.
Started with 16 Le, progressed to a point where I had ~25 learning by level 16.
I obtained detect traps and disarm traps at an early level (9 or so) and used both skills very frequently from that point till the end.

However, the increase dice on both skills quickly went down to just +1 and never went up, despite detecting and disarming numerous traps in all locations, including dwarven graveyard, pyramid, VDDL, various levels of CoC, elemental temples, maze... you get the idea.

At the moment (lvl 45), I have obtained all orbs, got my learning to 37, yet still:
Code:
     E - Detect traps .........  79    (great)        [+1]
     F - Disarm traps .........  98    (superb)       [+1]
Despite such frequent use, the skill dice refuse to increase.
I think this should be changed to better reflect the character's progression and ability to learn, especially in case of high learning attribute.
Something should be done about the skill dice that simply will not increase even though I have literally detected hundreds of traps.
I disarmed perhaps 10% of those traps, yet even that was enough to increase the disarm traps skill considerably faster than detect.

Detect traps is a very useful skill and I think its frequent usage in the game should be reflected by character's proficiency in it.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have alertness, which I have had exceedingly few chances to train.
As a mindcrafter I virtually always confuse enemy casters and prevent them from attacking me with magic in the first place.
Yet I reached 100 in alertness by level 13 (!), long before I even went to the tower or CoC for that matter.

Detect/disarm traps is but one example, but this pertains to all skills that have been obtained via in-game means rather than possessed from the start due to r/c combination.

So, the final idea behind this RFE is the following:

No matter if the race/class starts with the skill, practical training "in the field" should supersede both racial and class predispositions in how it impacts skill increase, to reflect PC's ability to effectively rely on learning attribute.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3787
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-07-2015 05:23 PM
Ancient Member
You can train the dice on Detect/Disarm Traps from Yergius, FWIW.

Some classes just suck at certain skills (particularly ones that they aren't trained in).

08-07-2015 05:38 PM
Ancient Member
I understand that but practical lessons should count for something right?
I don't need Yergius' training with an assassin for example, even if I don't start with the skill.
Yet assassins seem to train detect traps to max value much sooner.

08-07-2015 05:58 PM
Ancient Member
There's a set table of class aptitudes that you can check out to see how this all works. Assassins start with Detect traps and have a very high aptitude for it...

Mindcrafters have terrible aptitude for most skills (as do Druids and Necros), though their aptitude for Alertness, as it happens, is very high. I'm pretty sure that this is an intended feature of these classes--by contrast, Bards, for example, have very good aptitudes for basically every skill.

OTOH, I do agree in general that manual skill training in ADOM is pretty severe--the overwhelming majority of increases you're ever likely to get are from level ups, except for a few skills that seem to train like crazy (eg. getting the 30 pickpockets that you used to need to get into the Thieves' Guild was often enough to get the skill up to 100 without any further training).

08-07-2015 09:06 PM
Ancient Member
You're right, assassins of course start with detect traps, I meant disarm traps which they don't start with and yet are quite effective at training it.

08-08-2015 01:44 PM
Ancient Member
Haggling has a similar issue.

+ Reply