100% in Skill not automatically clear.
issueid=3836 08-30-2015 07:32 PM
palandus
Number of reported issues by palandus:
100% in Skill not automatically clear.
Feature request for new players concerning 100% in a Skill

I would like to request that a message (possibly within the skill tab itself) be posted for new players concerning 100% in a skill. It was not clear to me (and I've been playing for over a decade) that even if you have 100% in a skill like Literacy, or a skill like Detect Item Status, you can still fail at those skills. Imagine my surprise when I read a spellbook at 100% Literacy, and suddenly my entire map disappears, and all my items are no longer identified. Or imagine my surprise when I find an item not identified with it's B/U/C status with 100% Detect Item Status.

As I've posted this in the bug report section, and apparently it isn't a bug, I'd like to request that somewhere obvious (like in the Skills Tab at the top) have a message stating that you still have a slim chance of failure at 100% in a skill. I feel this is necessary, because most players will assume that 100% means 100% successful with no chance of failure (which is why they spent the time to get it to 100%), and thus will feel the game is cheating when they fail, even though they have 100% in a skill.

A message will make that clear for players for when something "weird" happens when they have 100% skill. Alternatively, make it so that 100% skill, is 100% success with no chance of failure; I'd personally prefer this, but a message will suffice.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3836
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8.1 (NotEye)
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-30-2015 07:43 PM
"There is always a chance for automatic success and automatic failure."

Manual, first paragraph of the Skills section. The information is already there, just read the manual.

08-31-2015 03:18 PM
Btw it's not "100%", it's just "100".

08-31-2015 05:31 PM
I've never personally considered it to be per cent, just some "skill points". So even though I haven't read manual, I've never think there should be guaranteed success if you have 100 "%" in any skills. Furthermore in case of majority of skills viewing it as per cent doesn't make much sense 100% courage, 100% healing? -- what does it mean. Have you been 100"%" in archery a missed anytime anything, and if so and that doesn't make you wonder -- why?

Nevertheless being of such information in manual seems to me perfectly sufficient. Why we should annoy manual-reading players with such information every time they open skill menu? If you don't read the manual you should expect there will be some things you will misunderstand. Otherwise we could just remove the manual and rewrite it all to game itself. Why should we explicitly state this information, but doesn't display there is special behavior of extreme tactics every time player chooses to change tactic, or why shouldn't there be a information there are some things that can't be identified by equipping but has to be identified by magic (and some gauntlets being identified in this way a some not seems to me pretty confusing) every time you open inventory?

+ Reply