One particular level in ADOM feels heavily underused
issueid=3838 08-30-2015 09:11 PM
Number of reported issues by PintinhoDeMel: 1

I know not how to add spoiler tags and couldn't find info on how to do it when searching the forums, so newcomers please do tread carefully!

As pointed out in the score concerning its Priority, I feel this is something that could be tackled with only after the Steam release has proved successful, being of a 'feature request' kind of nature. Attention again, as slight spoilers now follow.

IMHO, one level that feels particularly underused is the Animated Forest level. I reckon it has a place in Bridge Building and Fletchery (... and that in the past it was highly abusable for looting), but I'd like you to consider just how much more of a thrilling level it could be!

I say this for a few reasons, those being:

1 - though room for disagreement exists here, it is possible to ascertain that it's an important level on its own;

If such wasn't so, a quest wouldn't revolve around it. A rather significant one, if we consider how game-changing the mere fact of proceeding with the following quests given by Thundrarr might be.

2 - it definitely has that "wow, I've reached a new stage in the [meta-]game!" effect for new players;

For all of us who've been there in the past, just try and remember how excited you were upon seeing that gigantic level, that multitude of unique monsters and those messages accompanying it all, stating that you were in fact beholding the sight of a living forest!

3 - it simply brims with potential;

Huge level, unique monsters - might there not be an NPC with whom the PC may speak with, maybe this one providing his/her own unique quests? Might there not be branching rooms leading the PC to more loot and further forest/nature-oriented monsters (dryads, druids and elementals come to mind, just to name a few)? Perhaps the trees are a bit more powerful outside of their own level, being enraged should the PC slaughter many innocent beings? Perhaps the PC can set certain events in motion, thus making some of the trees leave the forest on their own (raising their likelihood of being found in other places outside of the Animated Forest)? Perhaps going there and slaying dozens upon dozens of trees just so one can inform Thundrarr of "what's beyond" the forest makes them behold the Dwarves as enemies, a possibility which, if tied together with one already alluded to (a quest-giver per part of the trees), could provide players with an interesting decision: disregard the trees or become their allies and fight the Dwarves? Even the Ogre Tribe could have a part in this, as they're also the Dwarves' enemies (and plausibly, they're also much more at peace with nature than Dwarves themselves).

In short, there are many possibilities!

And yet, "underused" is a term that so well describes how the Animated Forest feels that the player is able to complete the quest regarding it without ever setting foot in there! Moreover, point 2 comes to mind when one thinks of just how swiftly the excitement of finding such level for the first time is replaced by the disconcerting idea that "there isn't so much to this level, after all", this one in turn replaced by the morose feeling of "having to go through that drag of a level" yet again or risk losing a PC through the (purposefully more challenging) alternate route.

So what are your thoughts on this, my fellows? Hopefuly you can provide significant feedback concerning these matters so that together we can help The Creator make ADOM better than it has ever been!

Cheers!
Issue Details
Issue Number 3838
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

08-31-2015 08:51 AM
Ancient Member
Add a glade in the middle where saplings could be harvested to grow later using water and produce a tame animated tree or a bunch of seeds.
It would produce sap that could be bottled and drank by the PC to act on satiation like a stomafilia herb and bring alignment slightly toward neutral.
Maybe train mana too? It's a magical forest after all.
There could be a grave in the glade and a small pool of water. The grave could be dug, making all trees hostile but a random artifact could be generated inside.
The grave itself could lead to a staircase and a separate level with some nice stuff, high DL. The water could be drank like from pools but instead it would only provide minor satiation, like regular uncursed water.
The staircase could be underwater if the PC chooses the dive and search, fish could be harvested given enough time.
Gold coins could be dropped into the pond for a 1% chance of getting +luck and/or +fate intrinsics or removing doom or curse.
Druids could have some special interactions there, like talking to elder trees around the pond, getting some Le and Ma training in the process, or permanent increase of PP by very few points.
Standing in the glade would replenish PP faster, akin to the tiny island in Terrinyo.
Kherab could ask the PC to "Burn the silly trees down to the ground" and start a quest about conflagration, giving the PC a strange raw steel device to activate while standing in the glade - massive alignment drop and permanent destruction of the animated forest.
Logs could then be brought to Kherab to fuel his forges and produce an occasional tame steel golem at the cost of further alignment drop. (cue in Saruman cutting down Fangorn to fuel forges and create weapons and armor for his Uruk-hai)

I can go on and on... there's a plethora of nice things that could be done with the forest.

08-31-2015 08:59 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Kherab could ask the PC to "Burn the silly trees down to the ground" and start a quest about conflagration, giving the PC a strange raw steel device to activate while standing in the glade - massive alignment drop and permanent destruction of the animated forest.
YES! This sounds so awesome. Didn't we need a few additional player-invented quests? Perhaps this could be the famous missing Spear of Raw Steel quest?

Also, I love the idea of an NPC in the middle of the forest - be it an elder tree that can talk, or a mysterious, aloof druid of some kind.. some more background story to the place would be great.

+ Reply