Wrong trigger for completion of the animated forest quest.
issueid=5927 01-16-2018 01:52 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Wrong trigger for completion of the animated forest quest.

Here's what I did:
I talked to tiny girl and the druid without talking to Rynt. That way the quest "talk to 3 important people in Terrinyo" was not completed.
I went on to explore the rest of the world, getting to dwarftown at some point and starting both the portal quest and regular dwarven quest line.
After completing the first quest and dealing with Nonnak & Griff, I returned, got my inventory identified, level pulled and the new quest - animated forest.
I returned to Terrinyo, talked to the elder, got assigned a quest to find CoC and went straight there.
Upon entering, I got information that I have completed the animated forest quest, even though I have never descended past dwarftown.
After that, Thrundarr gave me the ogre tribe quest as if I did the AF.
I guess that's not how it should work, the Terrinyo quest should be marked as done instead of a dwarven quest.

I can provide the save file if it's needed.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5927
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 7
Affected Version ADOM 3.0.5
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone Important Bugfixes
Users able to reproduce bug 4
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

04-20-2018 08:12 AM
I think i/ve managed to reproduce this
see:
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=6164

08-19-2018 08:48 AM
Version Steam 3.2.2 still have this "feature".
https://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=6286

08-31-2018 02:13 PM
If this happens consistently, it's a very exploit-able bug. Using it deliberately would let you (a) get credit for passing AF without risking AF or DH, and thereby (b) do all of the other Dwarftown quests before having to pass through DH/AF, which would let you have the initial pass-through be less dangerous (because the character could be higher level, with Tactics and better equipment and so forth) and do one fewer passage down-and-up through a risky spot. If there was just an option to do the AF quest after the other Thrundarr quests, I suspect that option would be taken almost 100% of the time.

09-12-2018 09:05 AM
The Creator
If the save file still is available I would highly appreciate it. This is kind of mind-boggling.

Sadly we also are in an area of ADOM source code that just can be called "vile and disturbing". It's complex, convoluted, ancient and nasty. And it tends to bite back at times. Additionally it's very hard to refactor without breaking save file compatibility (and probably introducing dozens of new bugs). My guess is that rewriting this will take many weeks... and you as a player wouldn't notice any difference afterwards (in the best case).

So I just can hope that your save file will allow me to understand the problem. Code review does not and it seems kind of hard to reproduce quickly.

09-12-2018 04:33 PM
Ancient Member
Attached a save that should be able to reproduce the issue. The character is on the first Thrundarr quest, but the issue applies to all five of Thrundarr's standard quests.
  1. Check the quest log and observe that you have an unfinished kill quest.
  2. Chat with Blup to complete the talk to three people quest.
  3. Return to the Caverns of Chaos.
  4. Check the quest log and observe that the kill quest is gone.
  5. Teleport back to Dwarftown.
  6. Chat with Thrundarr about "quest" and receive the reward.

04-01-2019 03:05 PM
Ancient Member
This is still an issue, at least in the 3.3.3 official version.
Here's how to replicate it:

1) Chat with tiny girl & druid.
2) Chat with Thrundarr, get portal quest and kill monster quest.
3) Complete both, immediately get animated forest quest.
4) Go back to Terrinyo, talk to Blup -> "talk to 3 important people" quest marked as completed.
5) Go to CoC, upon entering - Animated Forest quest gets marked as completed.
6) Chat with Thrundarr - get Ogre Cave quest, having never visited AF or DH.

I have attached a save file. I cheated to limit save file size and keep game interaction to a minimum (teleportation, 7LB, invisibility, 50PV) but I don't think this has any impact on the problem - I've had this same situation during a legitimate game.

In case you need a different character and/or similar but different circumstances, I can replicate this again within a few minutes and provide another save file.

12-13-2019 06:42 PM
Ancient Member
Small update since I don't see this summarized in exact way: completing the "talk to 3 important people in Terinyo" always completes the current Thrundarr quest -- the only precondition is that you have a Thrundarr quest active. You do not have to have talked to anyone in Terinyo, or even entered Terinyo, prior to getting Thrundarr quest.

+ Reply