Don't allow autoswap with Demented Ratling
issueid=4209 01-01-2016 08:57 AM
Number of reported issues by hapro: 15
Don't allow autoswap with Demented Ratling

I descended into Dwarftown and the ratling was immediately in the tile to my right so when I walked the game automatically swapped our positions, which caused him to become hostile. You should be able to swap positions with him, but he should be marked as a special NPC that doesn't auto-swap with the PC when walked into.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4209
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-01-2016 09:58 AM
That's not a bug but a feature request.
And one that asks to fix the wrong thing - nothing is wrong with autoswapping. You should not be allowed to swap with the NPC only if it would place him outside his preferred position - i.e. shopkeeper away from the door or smith outside his smithy.

What should be changed is the "getting angry and attacking" part - while nobody asked you to walk around bullying poor demented ratlings and other random dwellers, them getting angry enough to publicly attack a much stronger PC right there in the village is too stupid from them: the probability of getting angry should decrease to 0 if your character is much much stronger than the displaced one (or has a high Appearance score).

01-01-2016 10:36 AM
I would classify this as "unintended oversight of recent new feature", and fixing a problem with a feature is a bug. The goal of the feature is convenience, which it's great at, but this one particular case forces Dwarftown traversal to become a big hassle if you always have to watch out to make sure the ratling isn't in the way. As a bonus, it seems like the logic already exists for certain NPCs in Terinyo.

As the ratling is demented and likely significantly tainted by chaos, I see no reason why character's strength would deter him from doing something crazy.

(on a related note, I used white necromancy for the first time and my homunculus almost bled him to death, but he's peaceful again. hopefully quest still works!)

01-01-2016 01:34 PM
I kinda agree that occasionally he becomes hostile due to swapping too early. Keeping a counter allowing to swap with no or with minimal risk several few times would probably make sense.

01-01-2016 08:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by hapro
I would classify this as "unintended oversight of recent new feature", and fixing a problem with a feature is a bug.
Agreed.

+ Reply