"God of thieves" is a greedy bastard
issueid=2897 04-27-2014 11:21 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
"God of thieves" is a greedy bastard

I just got over 5000 gold stolen by the "god of thieves." Now this is a cool game mechanic, but isn't having a third of your wealth stolen on a whim a little much? Can I recommend this get capped at like 500 gold or something?
Issue Details
Issue Number 2897
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-27-2014 11:44 AM
The Creator
Mmmhhh... Jochen and I have planned to add the temple to the God of Thieves as one of the map areas. There you should be able to get your revenge. Him being a greedy bastard sounds about right ;-) But I get your point and will consider that.

04-27-2014 12:17 PM
Oh, very well then. :) (Cool way to introduce a new quest, btw!)

04-27-2014 03:44 PM
Ancient Member
Sounds great! I suppose the player will be able to recover all the gold stolen from the PC in the new location?

04-27-2014 04:09 PM
ha i've had so much more vanished away like that. doesn't happen that often though. i think i've lost more to having thieves steel my money, die, drop it on the floor in front of a dragon and watch all the gold melt away under their breath attack, than lost to the greedy god of thieves. it's only money though, you can't take it with you ;)

04-27-2014 05:52 PM
Ancient Member
I think the god of thieves mechanic really needs fixing - it's very punishing before the mid game (when you are most likely to encounter monsters that steal money, with monster adjustment), but it's also very easily avoidable at the same time (you just drop your gold before nailing the monsters to the wall). So...I don't know - I don't feel it really works right now.

04-27-2014 10:18 PM
Personally, I love it! It's just money, after all, you can always collect more, and it makes thieves significant. I vote no to a cap.

Also very excited to hear that the God of Thieves will have a quest behind it. :-D

04-28-2014 11:37 AM
Ancient Member
I don't see a problem with this, like SirTheta, I just drop my gold and smile whenever I see the "grunts in disappointment" message.

04-28-2014 11:42 AM
Ancient Member
I'd say gold dropping is an exploit. TB should make stealing monsters able to pick up gold from the tile the player's standing on. If they can pick your pocket surely they can pick coins that you have just dropped to the ground in front of them!

04-28-2014 12:01 PM
Ancient Member
Sure they can pick the coins from the ground between your feet but that should just as certainly cost them a massive drop of DV, all the way to zero.
How difficult would it be to slice off the head of somebody 30 centimeters away from you, looking down, eyes focused on the gold, hands busy picking up the coins?

04-28-2014 12:08 PM
I had a ratling thief stead 30k from me at a point in the game where I very much needed it to get my piety up and remove dooming. Personally I love the mechanic and should be left as is - just give us a chance to steal it back from the God of Thieves :).

04-28-2014 09:11 PM
Ancient Member
Just drop your gold a couple tiles away then, Al-Khwarizmi. The mechanic is dead easy to avoid (and is excessively punishing when not avoided), which is why I think it's broken.

04-30-2014 09:53 PM
Can I suggest something? Maybe have a third of gold stolen by thief PCs gets "donated" to the god of thieves. If they're Chaotic, it gives them a small piety boost.

+ Reply