More on attack messages
issueid=398 08-20-2011 03:10 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Laukku: 56
More on attack messages

(From my comments in this issue, which got implemented before I had the chance to post them):

* When somebody misses, it should be a simple "x misses y". Much shorter and faster to read than "x strikes at y with a <weapon> but misses!". Or replace the verb "strikes at" with "misses" and omit the "...but misses!"; this preserves the info about the attacking weapon.
* When there is a critical hit, the "critically hitting" feels clumsy and redundant when there is "moderately wounding/ killing x" right after it. "with full force", "in a vital spot" (ADOM equivalents IIRC) would sound better and less gameruley.
* Maybe even remove the "lightly/moderately/etc wounding you" when it is the player who is being attacked. Player wound status is redundant when you can see it easily in the status bar.
* The natural attack of immaterial monsters like ghosts and shadows should be "touch", punching would feel out-of-character. "The shadow touches you. You feel weak!"
* Have the death reason in highscore list depend on attack type. Blunt weapon: "Had his face smashed by an orc". Piercing weapon: "Was impaled by a goblin scavenger". Slashing weapon: "Had his body slit open by a kobold". Biting: "Was eaten alive by a rat". Touching: "Was poked to death by a ghost".
Issue Details
Issue Number 398
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version JADE 0.1.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-20-2011 08:10 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think reporting player wound status is redundant, it's not obvious what part of the bar corresponds to "moderately", "critically", etc.

08-21-2011 06:50 AM
I think that a much more useful thing would be to know from the description the amount of loss of health from the attack, when the PC is the target. It could use a simple scale, something like this (first one is for cutting type weapons, second one is for blunt trauma like clubs):

less than 1%: "are nicked" or "are grazed"
1%-5%: "are cut" or "are thwacked" (or maybe "are bruised")
5%-15%: "are sliced" or "are bashed"
Anything above 15% would then get more generic:
15-40%: "are seriously wounded"
40-70%: "are severely wounded"
70%+: "are mortally wounded"

Keep in mind, these are amount of damage done in attack, not total HP level. So if you're at 30/100 HP, and you're hit for 10 HP by a club, it would say "was bashed", not "was mortally wounded". On the other hand, if you were at 170/200 HP, and you're hit for 150 HP damage (down to 20/200 HP), it would say "was mortally wounded", since 150/200 = 75%.

For NPC targets, it should report on damage done *and* total damage... but it should be a much simpler system. Something like this for damage done:

less than 2%: "trivially"
2-10%: "lightly"
10-30%: "moderately"
30-60%: "heavily" or "deeply" (depending on attack type)
60-100%: "powerfully"

And then I'd make the total damage described by the *reaction*. For instance, for a common humanoid (like a goblin):
less than 10%: "winces"
10-25%: "recoils"
25-50%: "yelps"
50-75%: "screams"
75-98%: "screams in agony"
98%+: "screams with pure agony"

All of these could have multiple styles of sentence to maintain some variation.

Let me give an example bringing them together. You are fighting a male goblin. You have 120 HP total, and are wielding a sword. The goblin has 70 HP total and is wielding a club. You attack the goblin, hitting it for 6 HP in the first attack, following which it attacks you, hitting you for 14 HP.

"The goblin winces as you slice him trivially with your sword. You are bashed with the goblin's club."

On the next turn, you attack the goblin, hitting it for 25 HP, while the goblin hits you for 50 HP.

"The goblin yelps as you slice him deeply with your sword. You are severely wounded with the goblin's club."

On the next turn, you attack the goblin, hitting for 35 HP, while the goblin misses you.

"The goblin screams in agony as you slice him deeply with your sword. The goblin misses you with his club."

On the next turn, you do a piddling 4 HP damage to the goblin, which then hits you for 45 HP.

"The goblin screams with pure agony as you slice him lightly with your sword. You are seriously wounded with the goblin's club."

On the next turn, you kill the goblin, of course. It could perhaps be colourful even there, something like "you deal one final slice, killing the goblin."

03-19-2012 09:52 AM
Ancient Member
Bump. The redundancies in battle messages are still kinda annoying. TB has also said that the battle messages are generated on-the-fly, so that limits word order. Currently the order of events (and word order) seem to be like this:

*attacker
*physical damage type
*victim
*attacker weapon
*hit or miss
*possible critical hit
*how much damage

I think the first four can be easily shuffled around the sentence, because they are independet of other parts. So, my suggested battle message generation pseudocode:

Code:
+AttackerName;
if (AttackMisses){
 +Misses;
 }
else {
 +AttackType; //this is either "slashes", "bashes" or "pierces" (and the second person equilavents)
 }
+VictimName;
+WithHis;
+WeaponName; //These would not be mentioned if the player is the attacker.
if (CriticalHit){
 +"With Full Force"; //I like "with full force" more than "critically hitting", and it's easier to add into a sentence without interrupting the flow.
 }
+HowMuchDamage; //Again, this won't be mentioned if the player is the victim.
So a situation where the player delivers a critical hit to a fire beetle and wounds it into critical status, would be:

"You slash the fire beetle with full force, critically cutting it."

Missing it would be:

"You miss the fire beetle".

Also, "...to death" would be more fun than "...killing x". "You bash the orc to death!" :-) Sadly I can't think of similar replacements for "lightly/moderatly/ect wounding x".

03-19-2012 03:32 PM
Some minor suggestions related to this, though I don't know how practical they are to use:

When a monster bites at you, but misses, use the word 'snaps' ("The (foo) snaps at you!"). Note that I don't think it's necessary to also use "but misses you." because I feel that usage of the word 'snaps' kinda implies it.
When a monster manages to harm you with a bite attack, use the phrase 'bites into' ("The (foo) bites into you...").

+ Reply