Remove xp bonuses for speed and invisibility
issueid=2345 09-16-2013 06:50 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Remove xp bonuses for speed and invisibility
Stop abuses of statuses for extra xp

Based on another relevant thread... Currently you get bonuses to xp gains for being slower than the enemy and for them being invisible. In practise this means that players deliberately make monsters invisible and slow themselves to get extra xp.

I would recommend removing both elements from the xp calculation. There should be no bonus to killing an invisible monster - it's not that hard and it invites abuse.

There should be no bonus to killing a fast monster / killing whilst slow. Your own speed should be irrelevant. Fast monsters should give higher xp based on their general difficulty as designed, not just because they're fast. We have no similar modification to xp based on Strength or PV, so why Speed?
Issue Details
Issue Number 2345
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-18-2013 11:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
On the other hand, I think disabled monsters (blind, confused, stunned etc.) should have a severe xp penalty.
No. I would rather nerf disablers than put penalty xp on them. People will use them and then on the last turn they will wait until the effect wears off to deliver final blow. After all they are in the game so that you can handle tough monsters.... However, it shouldn't be the case that they have 100% accuracy and that you can kill Keriax with something as common as potion of cure poison.

Remove slow monster on oneself and remove invisibility bonus. Disablers are are subject for another RFE.

To compensate for slow monster make boots of slow shuffle more accessible.

09-18-2013 11:50 AM
Ancient Member
The PC using measures to weaken monsters to defeat them is perfectly natural and expected behavior from a roleplaying standpoint and would be seen as them handling the challenge; no tabletop game master would dock rewards for that. If you tried to buff monsters and claim that you should get increased XP for defeating them, you would get laughed out of the room. ADOM is an RPG, too, and its mechanics should reflect that wherever possible.

09-18-2013 01:08 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
Remove the invisibility bonus if you can see invisible.
This is already the case in 1.2.0. It's still easily exploitable. You just invis the monster before you kill it.

I don't want the speed ratio bonus nerfed too much, otherwise quicklings and such give disproportionately low xp. Invisible stalkers and ogre magi are very tough for low-level characters, and should give an appropriate reward.
You can compensate by just increasing the XP of these monsters directly as appropriate.

09-18-2013 02:14 PM
I like the added strategy of making them slower to get more exp. i like the extra tactical options. most games don't give you as many cool options as this one does.

09-18-2013 02:45 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gosos
I like the added strategy of making them slower to get more exp. i like the extra tactical options. most games don't give you as many cool options as this one does.
yeah... getting 3,7 million of experience for killing a monster just because you removed your ring od see invisible and slowed yourself down for a final blow is pure fun!....

09-18-2013 03:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by kordi82
yeah... getting 3,7 million of experience for killing a monster just because you removed your ring od see invisible and slowed yourself down for a final blow is pure fun!....
It is :)

09-18-2013 08:42 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
It is :)
Yeah... 3,7 million for one monster and then you slam scores of rats and goblins for the next 15 levels of CoC... super duper fun!

09-20-2013 12:35 AM
I think the bonus invisibility XP with SeeI is already removed.

I would agree on the 'no Slow Monster on yourself' as well. I've sayt and thought about it, and other than XP, I honestly can't think of a reason to cast it on yourself.

As for the 'XP bonus', I would say leaivng it in place is useful still. Without the spell, there are fewer ways of abusing it, and what ways there are are a lot more risky, I think. Enough that it wuold make it worth the XP. Sure it's still scummable, but less so and with more risk, I think.

09-20-2013 01:45 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
I would agree on the 'no Slow Monster on yourself' as well. I've sayt and thought about it, and other than XP, I honestly can't think of a reason to cast it on yourself.
I have used it to pacify herb levels using breeders faster in terms of turncount. But of course that's just abusing another game mechanic :p

Seriously, I wouldn't want to see the possibility of casting Slow Monster on yourself, if TB deems this an important issue that needs changing, because that would mean getting rid of a little detail in the game. (If anything, I'd like more spells with non-positive effects to be usable on the PC himself!)

+ Reply