Make Pick Pocket direction automatic if only adjacent to one monster
issueid=4232 01-16-2016 11:44 PM
Number of reported issues by shockeroo: 50
Make Pick Pocket direction automatic if only adjacent to one monster
Remove the unnecessary prompt and second keystroke

When there is only one monster adjacent to you, Pick Pocket should pick that monster's pocket without a prompt; much like open or close will open or close the only door adjacent to you without a prompt.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4232
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 18
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-16-2016 11:52 PM
Ancient Member
_YES_.

This would make my life better.

01-17-2016 12:10 AM
Ancient Member
While not bad in principle, this will cause a lot of unintended melee attacks by those used to the current behavior.

01-17-2016 03:13 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
While not bad in principle, this will cause a lot of unintended melee attacks by those used to the current behavior.
I'm used to the current behavior and I'm really keen for this. I might accidentally whack a couple of monsters in the first game after the change, but I'm sure I'll adjust damn fast after that. The current combination is a real ballache.

01-17-2016 06:29 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Yeah, but said attacks will only occur if the monster is already hostile, and will most likely happen pretty early in the game. Plus accidentally attacking a hostile monster you meant to pickpocket is pretty trivial, since it will just occur a few times in the early game before players realize "oh, this is how it works now" and change their behavior. it doesn't seem like a big enough concern to downvote the RFE.

01-17-2016 08:28 AM
I guess it's a bit more annoying option for those who don't use pick pocket regularly, but huge improvement for those who keep using it a lot. Maybe yet another option you could turn on in config file instead of feature for everyone?

01-17-2016 09:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Shinae
I guess it's a bit more annoying option for those who don't use pick pocket regularly, but huge improvement for those who keep using it a lot. Maybe yet another option you could turn on in config file instead of feature for everyone?
I'd prefer an option in the config file to turn it off. On by default should be how it works I think.

We need to be careful here though. What if a monster is invisible. The prompt of "Which direction" and "no one to pick" could (would) be used to find invisible things without +SeeInvis.
Should we also have this same functionality for Ventriloquism?

Does it already do this for pick locks?

01-17-2016 10:09 PM
How would this work with the "repeat last action" key, if the monster near you changed?

01-18-2016 12:46 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
How would this work with the "repeat last action" key, if the monster near you changed?

Same as usual, if only 1 monster, you'd pickpocket them, if 2 or more, " ' " would only get you to the direction selection prompt.

01-19-2016 04:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles
What if a monster is invisible. The prompt of "Which direction" and "no one to pick" could (would) be used to find invisible things without +SeeInvis.
You get the 'no one to pick' message if you try to pick an invisible monster's pocket already, so I think this won't be a problem assuming current behavior persists?

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
I'm really not sure how it would interact; I guess intended behavior would be for it to search for another monster adjacent, and try to pick it's pocket - not caring about which specific monster or the direction (unless the direction was specified last time due to multiple monsters, and there are still multiple monsters).

01-20-2016 01:18 AM
Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo
I'm really not sure how it would interact; I guess intended behavior would be for it to search for another monster adjacent, and try to pick it's pocket - not caring about which specific monster or the direction (unless the direction was specified last time due to multiple monsters, and there are still multiple monsters).

Well, we know there's a variable that exists that determines whether or not there are adjacent monsters, and another (or maybe the same if it just uses something like "if (adjacentMonster == 0)" for it's "false" value) to count how many are around the player at any given time. We know this because the 'c'hat option changes depending on how many monsters are surrounding the enemy, and the courage mechanics/to-hit modifier is affected by the number of surrounding monsters. So the existence of that variable is something we can reasonably assume exists.

So I assume the code for this being implemented would be exactly like the 'c'hat function: it checks the number of adjacent monsters, checks if they are invisible (if the PC can't see invisible), adjusts that number accordingly, and then if (visibleAdjacent == 0), it returns a "nobody to pickpocket", if (visibleAdjacent == 1), it pickpockets that monster, and if (visibleAdjacent > 1), it queries the user for input on which direction. The monster changing position would work the same (just like 'c'hatting does now), one monster stepping in and another out would work the same (just like 'c'hatting does now), the number of monsters increasing from 1 to 2 would simply add a "which direction?", and vice versa, the number decreasing would just remove that.

+ Reply