Dipping rusty item into (blessed) potion of oil makes rusty rustproof item.
issueid=2253 07-26-2013 06:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Sami: 91
Dipping rusty item into (blessed) potion of oil makes rusty rustproof item.

I dipped blessed rusty sword of sharpness (+0, 4d8+6) into a blessed potion of oil and got blessed rusty rustproof sword of sharpness (+0, 4d8+6).
Issue Details
Issue Number 2253
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Creator Feedback
Priority 8
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-26-2013 07:23 PM
Ancient Member
issue 1172

Edit - Wait, you reported the bug? It was fixed and now you report the fix as a bug?

07-26-2013 07:48 PM
Administrator
Well, the dipping currently only makes the item rustproof. It probably should remove the rust at the same time?! :)

07-26-2013 08:17 PM
Ancient Member
It is not an oil of rust removal, simply oil. If I take a rusted piece of iron and cover it in a substance that makes it rustproof, it still contains rust, but will not rust further. Thus it is now rustproof yet still rusty. Weird but true.

07-26-2013 09:23 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
It is not an oil of rust removal, simply oil. If I take a rusted piece of iron and cover it in a substance that makes it rustproof, it still contains rust, but will not rust further. Thus it is now rustproof yet still rusty. Weird but true.
Kind of makes sense. But still it feels there's something slightly wrong, somewhere... Dipping rusty rustproof item into an oil of rust removal (even non-blessed) removes the rust but keeps the rustproof coating. It also still deals halved damage (and I suppose is broken a lot easier too).

07-26-2013 09:42 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah, I thought about this. If you apply smithing, technically you will also be removing the oil coating to get to the rust. This is something TB will have to decide about. Edit - If smithing already doesn't remove the rustproof status from an item, then he has maybe already decided. :P

Either way, I don't mind if a potion of oil also magically removes the rust, but then we have two "potions" that do the same thing. Or rather, then a potion of oil is better than a potion of rust removal.

07-27-2013 12:57 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I can't argue with this. And I agree removing rust should be limited to the appropriately-named oils of rust removal.

12-12-2019 01:56 PM
Ancient Member
Sorry for necromancy. I wanted to create another thread but actually decided to search first.
In real life, when you have a rusty fence and paint it without removing the rust first, it will eat its way out from within and the new paint coat will not last very long, this is personal experience.

I propose that rustproofing items should ask you to remove the existing rust first, if the item is already rusty.
If you don't do that, I think rustproof status should disappear after a number of hits, similarly to how dipped-in-poison items lose their "poisoned" status after a few hits.

+ Reply