Let Killer Bugs tear down doors
issueid=3411 11-12-2014 04:03 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Let Killer Bugs tear down doors

It seems awfully strange that a fearsome beast that can tear through Eternium Plate mail like it's swiss cheese and do hundreds of damage each turn can be stopped by a simple wooden door. Maybe we should change that. :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3411
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-12-2014 08:20 AM
Ancient Member
Don't know if want.

11-12-2014 08:20 AM
Ancient Member
Excerpt from the game: (thanks Ancardia Wiki)
"A deadly giant insect of utter blackness that attacks with unbelievable speed, making full use of its razor-sharp hooked and barbed claws.
They are lightning-fast and almost unerring in their devastating attacks, but possess little intelligence or judgement. Known in some areas as "quickling moloch beetles."

They are stupid, hence when they see a door, they think it's a wall that they cannot pass through.
Going with your line of thought, why don't we make them dig through walls like raccoons, ankhegs etc?
After all, what is a wall when they tear through eternium?

I think killer bugs are already nasty, super fast monsters that ignore PV, have multiple attacks and shrug most bolts, no need to make them even worse.

11-12-2014 12:58 PM
Ancient Member
Don't see the need to make the bug temple even harder.

11-12-2014 05:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Don't see the need to make the bug temple even harder.
You mean, don't see the need to make the bug temple a challenge?

For those unaware, currently a common exploit is to just trap all the bugs in the temple behind doors, then grab the loot and go. It makes what is an otherwise challenging area pretty trivial. This request would change that, and perhaps come as a nasty surprise to those who try it. :)

11-12-2014 08:20 PM
My impression was always that this was the whole point of the bug temple - find the "correct" path and seal off the dead ends, or risk facing a lot of dangerous and unnecessary enemies.

11-13-2014 12:20 AM
Ancient Member
The entrance room (getting swarmed from all directions) and the statue room (too much empty space for bugs to multiply if you are not fast enough) are the main challenges compared to small rooms with killer bugs. I don't see the deal with making the PC clear them too instead of sealing each with a wand.

11-14-2014 12:58 PM
Yeah, using door creation is the 'smart' way, and I think the game even lampshades this by one of the prizes being a \oDoorCreation with 100 charges. Taking that away would enforce a 'bruteforce' mindset instead of using your resources in a clever manner, which would be a step in a bad direction imho.

besides it doesn't help with the main chamber at all

+ Reply