Remove Pre/Post Crowning, Guarantee surge of power
issueid=6516 07-22-2019 11:24 PM
Number of reported issues by zeteginara: 1

Remove Pre/Postcrowning as a feature altogether, but guarantee a surge of power in the UD or the last level of the puppy cave.

Pre/Post Crowning is kinda clunky. Generating it is boring, and unintuitive for newer players. With the addition of random dungeons, getting an altar is almost but guaranteed. This means that a pre-crowning artifact is all but guaranteed.

Guaranteeing a surge of power in the puppy cave or unremarkable dungeon (right before the HWV exit) provides the same guaranteed artifact early-game, with a not-boring mechanic associated with it.

The Puppy cave would make it so permanently chaotic chaos knights can still never generate it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6516
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 3.3.4
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-23-2019 07:32 AM
Ancient Member
I don't care for that idea. Precrowning once is bearable, although a second time is unbearable unless it's a big room like in the puppy cave. I would however like to see the precrowning requirement only count non-guarranteed artifacts. Too lazy to do a separate RFE for that right now...

EDIT: if the game did contain a guarranteed surge of power I'd like to see it at the bottom of R2. Right now that dungeon is a bore/chore to go through, it's too deep and unfeatureful (usually).

07-23-2019 05:32 PM
I would agree it's bearable, it just doesn't make for fun gameplay.

The availability of pre-crowning guarantees a random artifact to anyone with very little risk, you just need a little patience. I think it would be better gameplay if that artifact was quested for. R2 is another good choice, and produces some risk-factor for people who want to grab that artifact early. :)

In addition, you can make it so that random artifact can't be one of the top-tier artifacts, such as Preserver, Bracers of War, or Executor... but it also can't be one of the more terrible artifacts, like the Black Tome, Scorched Spear, Black Thumb, Cat's Claw, etc.

07-28-2019 08:53 PM
Ancient Member
I agree with the proposal to remove pre/post crowning, but end of UD is way too soon for a guaranteed artifact imo, unless there’s a special secret room hiding an out of depth boss monster. Which would be pretty darned cool.

07-28-2019 10:24 PM
Ancient Member
Seems like you should also be asking for the removal or limiting of livesaccing. Removing precrowning just makes livesaccing more boring; it will still be worth doing for the other benefits (luck intrinsics, more prayers, crowning).

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
unless there’s a special secret room hiding an out of depth boss monster. Which would be pretty darned cool.
Surge of pulsing power would be a better replacement for precrowning anyway, since the artifact isn't restricted by DL. A normal surge of power in an early dungeon would be pulling from a smaller set of artifacts.

07-29-2019 12:48 AM
Ancient Member
Didn’t think about that, it happens so rarely I forgot. But I definitely found surge of pulsing power way more fun and challenging than a typical surge of power.

Edit: also as far as crowning goes, I find it anything but enjoyable or necessary. I usually play until I have enough gold then sacc it at dwarftown and get crowned sometime after I’m done with IQD quests. It’s annoying to live sacc, and crowning gifts are nice, but never truly necessary imo. And pre/post crowning is only worse.

08-17-2019 07:49 PM
Ancient Member
To be frank, by the time I go through UD, I'm usually already carrying a pre-crown artifact.
On top of this, you'll have to to adjust this guaranteed artifact to be independent from the danger level of the dungeon where it's generated.
While UD:8 has a decent DL, it would still preclude certain artifacts from being granted whereas they are otherwise possible via pre-crowning.
I think the situation right now is still much better than what it used to be. You can only get pre-crowned maybe 2 times in the best of conditions, unless you're willing to spend inordinate amount of time on piety generation.
Pre-crowning for the most part seems fine to me.

+ Reply