Change vBulletin Read Marking Type to "Database (automatic forum marking)"
issueid=1792 01-18-2013 10:35 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Change vBulletin Read Marking Type to "Database (automatic forum marking)"
Change vBulletin Thread Read Marking Type to "Database (automatic forum marking)" instead of the current cookie-based method

Suggestion
Change vBulletin Thread Read Marking Type to "Database (automatic forum marking)" instead of "Inactivity/Cookie Based", which is the current choice.

Why it'd improve the forum
The current setting stores when you've read different threads and bug reports in the issue tracker using separate session cookies. Due to limitations, it's possible to miss posts made while you're writing some if you don't check for new replies shortly afterwards, and sometimes threads you've already read will show up as having new posts. Storing this in the database would do away with these problems, at the cost of requiring a slightly higher amount of space in the server (which I don't think is a problem for a relatively small forum like this one in 2013 :)) and manually marking the forums as read if too many unread entries pile up.

Notes
N/A
Issue Details
Issue Number 1792
Issue Type Feature
Project Website Development
Category Forums
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-26-2015 06:51 PM
Ancient Member
Giving this one a bump, as I've missed on several recent posts due to the current system, and it should only take two minutes to implement.

11-26-2015 07:11 PM
Yes, a million times yes. I've also run into trouble with the current way when using different computers, or if I log in and out.

+ Reply