Beginner mode movement issues
issueid=1652 01-05-2013 01:42 PM
Number of reported issues by Cass: 18
Beginner mode movement issues
Only four directions, needs some tweaks?

Ok, so I tried a game in beginner mode. Is it supposed to be functional yet? Because I had some problems... (Mainly with shooting, but that's not exclusive to beginner mode.)

1) You need to show different keybindings when I press ?, not including diagonal movement. Make the list a lot more newbie-friendly too. It'd be nice if you could sort the list by situation: 'Moving' + relevant keys; 'Interaction with friendlies' + relevant keys; 'Interaction with enemies' + relevant keys; 'Processing stuff' + relevant keys; etc. Perhaps add some hints or advice under each section. Make it so you can click to expand: from basic commands to all commands or hints or more advanced stuff.
2) Shopkeepers get in the way (also other friendlies, but they're asier to avoid). Because I can't move past them if they're in my way, and you haven't yet told me (the newbie) how to wait in place, or switch places. I advice just letting them stand in place, beside the entrance (leaving the way free), until the pc picks something up.
3) Also tell me, the newbie, how to wait in place in that area to the right.
4) You mioght want to expand the 'do you want to attack' dialogue with an option to switch places instead, at least when in Terinyo, for beginners.
5) I managed to pickpocket diagonally, is this supposed to be possible?
6) I entered a dungeon (near town) and was immediately attacked by an ogre and a dire bat (lvl 1 character). Without diagonal movement, there wasn't really any way to escape this situation for my poor little archer (I died). Best make it a bit easier on beginners by not generating monsters next to the stairs, or perhaps even in the first room. Maybe standardize (the first level of) this particular dungeon even in the beginner game, to create a better learning experience.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1652
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.3.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

+ Reply