Walk mode: Stop at corners, please
issueid=1242 09-11-2012 06:47 PM
Number of reported issues by BFBeast666: 17
Walk mode: Stop at corners, please
This would keep VI people from getting lost

The 'w'alk mode in ADOM is one splendid little feature, helping to cover great distances and all. But one thing that makes it a little bothersome for blind players is the fact that once you use it in corridors, it keeps going, following the corridor even when said corridor twists and turns. For a sighted person, that's not a problem. You start at one point and end up once the stopping criteria (monster, door, item, new room etc.) are met, you see where the @ ends up. As a blind player, I have to rely on both the 'l'ook mode and my memory to figure out the dungeon layout, and once I have scoped out a layer of a dungeon, I of course would like to move about in a speedy fashion without getting lost. The 'w'alk mode zips through corners, which totally throws off my map memory.

So, to the RFE itself: It would be awesome if there would be a toggle that tells the 'w'alk mode to not change directions. Example:
Code:
#1#
#$#
#.#
#.####
#2...@ 
######
when typing 'w4' for 'walk east' in the normal ADOM game, I would end up at position 1, since the walk mode would simply keep going until something 'interesting', like the pile of gold would appear. And in doing so, my character is not going east, but north. Ideally, I would like him to stop at position 2, where the corridor bends. So I know a direction change is up.

If you make it a toggle in the config file, the sighted ADOM players will feel no difference while us VI players have just one more option to tailor the game to our needs.

Thanks for taking your time and listening. It's a very minute and specialized thing, but it will make the game so much more playable for the VI community (and I don't need to ask around in the ADOM community to hack your .exes)
Issue Details
Issue Number 1242
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 3
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 15
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-04-2013 09:01 PM
Issue Changed by jt