Time-consumption of changing equipment
issueid=2563 12-18-2013 05:01 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by GordonOverkill: 9
Time-consumption of changing equipment
I suggest it should be one piece at a time

My first suggestion-thread, how exciting :-)

Well, like I already explained in the multiple-outfits-thread, I don't like the fact that characters are able to change all their pieces of equipment except armor within a single turn. Practically that means changing you headgear, amulet, rings, weapon, shield, gauntlets, bracers and boots within the blink of an eye, just to change them back a couple seconds later within another blink of an eye. In my eyes that's bad for the atmosphere... I don't want to imagine my... say... orcish barbarian being a professional model, able to do wonderful and impressive things with clothes. My imagination is just unable to create a nice and halfway authentic picture of this. So my suggestion is to make every changed piece of equipment take one turn of time. That would not only add to the atmosphere, but also create an interesting new tactical aspect, as you will have to make a choice which piece to change first and which to delay if time is short.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2563
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 10
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-18-2013 05:29 PM
Ancient Member
In roleplaying, you could easily imagine a char doing all that stuff at the same time.
I mean you can drop the sword/shield that you're holding in a split second, while at the same time removing your boots with just your feet and wiggling your head to make the metal cap fall off on its own ;)
Also, I think the way it is right now allows for a more streamlined gameplay.
Your idea, even if it makes perfect sense, would introduce additional calculations that a player has to make on top of a dozen other calculations, like PC's speed vs monster speed, range of projectiles and diagonal/straight paths for bolt spells etc.
I think this would only serve as an added complexity that doesn't really make the game more attractive.
Besides how would you address the impact of various attribute modifiers that technically should influence the speed of putting items on or taking them off?
Thin and nimble corruption would probably make it easier, stiff muscles - worse, PC's speed and dexterity would surely have their impact too.
I think overall that's a lot of extra coding for little actual content gain.

12-18-2013 05:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I think overall that's a lot of extra coding for little actual content gain.
It probably would not be that much extra coding. On another note, I kind of like your idea of dexterity affecting the speed of changing equipment. It could be a [dexterity]% decrease in the energy cost or something.

Not sure about this one. On one hand, it doesn't make sense that changing the body armor takes many turns and changing the others takes zero, and that changing your ammunition also takes turns... On the other hand, neither does it make sense that you change your body armor in the same time as you eat a titan. (Neither does it make sense that you actually are able to eat a titan.) Generally I like consistency and it's really arbitrary to me which equipment changes are timeless and which are not.

12-18-2013 05:46 PM
Ancient Member
Well, it's not really in the blink of an eye. If memory serves one turn at 1000 energy cost and 100 speed is around 31 seconds.
Which is acting once per 10 segments.

Still, one can imagine that it should take a little longer to change 13 pieces of equipment. Maybe increasing the energy cost could be another way to go.

Energy cost:= (weight of items removed and equipped)*constant.

Does ADOM need this? Well body armour weight is already used to determine equipping time.

Edit - Appologies Singbird if my post seems similar in some ways to yours, I promise I was typing while you posted. I was thinking before I typed though.

Edit 2 - Changing items other than missiles and body armour takes a turn, not?

12-18-2013 06:28 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Edit 2 - Changing items other than missiles and body armour takes a turn, not?
Erm, yeah, it does. But just for the sake of not appearing dumb I will say that I meant that if you change multiple pieces, the ones after the first one are free. : )

I'm not too fond of weight-based times though, because it penalizes the early game. It also probably makes sense that changing a helm and changing gauntlets takes about the same time. Taking off and putting on gauntlets is quite slow after all. Similarly, putting on a girdle probably is quite slow, probably quite comparable to putting on a body armor. You cannot just slap it on make it go the right way like you can with a helmet or boots.

But I also think this could be a nice change tactically.

12-18-2013 11:49 PM
Ancient Member
I like the current way this works. Too much realism can hurt the game.

12-19-2013 01:39 PM
I second anon123

+ Reply