Allow building bridges out of the corpses of female spellcasters
issueid=3954 10-24-2015 01:27 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
Allow building bridges out of the corpses of female spellcasters

Not a joke. Well, actually a joke: an allusion to monty python.

Should not hold more weight without collapse than a newt that got better.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3954
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 13
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-24-2015 02:37 PM
This is very silly. I'm remaining neutral.

10-24-2015 03:13 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
This is very silly. I'm remaining neutral.
A witch! A witch! (Even their sense of humour is made out of wood).

10-24-2015 07:38 PM
I think you guys might have gotten a bit too much into this pre-release feature requesting spree.

10-24-2015 09:21 PM
Ancient Member
Kek.

You might want to request a more traditional change -- female Wizards start with Swimming skill.

10-25-2015 07:21 AM
It's sort of funny, but voted no, because joke RFEs take the bandwidth from the serious ones.
And priority 1 - seriously?!?

10-25-2015 05:17 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
And priority 1 - seriously?!?
Let me give you a clue.

No.

10-25-2015 08:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
Let me give you a clue.

No.

So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying this is a completely serious RFE, correct?

10-25-2015 09:13 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird
So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying this is a completely serious RFE, correct?
Why do you ask?

10-26-2015 02:02 AM
Why do you ask?
I was trying to make a joke that apparently wasn't very good. Sorry.

And due to how difficult it is to communicate through text, I don't even know if you are still joking yourself.

10-26-2015 04:15 AM
Ancient Member
I don't even know if you are still joking yourself.
Well, if anyone even cares if I seriously mean for it to get implemented then they aren't treating the topic with the appropriate levity--the priority #1 should have been a big clue though (if you rate a suggestion as #1 you're either arrogant, joking, or you accidentally filed it as a feature instead of a bug).

if you really want to know, I'd be flattered if Thomas thought it was amusing enough to add to the game, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it wasn't.

What I want to know is why everyone is eager to out themselves as a dour, po-faced bore over in this thread yet only two people can form an opinion on my
tracking skill suggestion
. A suggestion which, for the record, isn't a joke.

10-26-2015 12:31 PM
Ancient Member
Your request is too sexist. No way it would be implemented like this. Corpses of male spellcasters should be used too.

10-26-2015 02:57 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing
Your request is too sexist. No way it would be implemented like this. Corpses of male spellcasters should be used too.
Lol. Funny thing is ADOM is pretty sexist by modern equality paranoia. 90% of NPCs in the game are male, female monsters are explicitly "female", female characters get price bonus strictly by Ap (though all shopkeeps are male, so it kinda makes sense but still remains sexist).

The first (correct me if I'm wrong) explicit word ("bitch") in ADOM was added along with the ice queen and is used to referred to her by the chaos diplomat and Yggaz. Offtopic here, but this left me with a sour taste (not because of sexist shenanigans, but because of unnecessary crudeness of the word).

Unless your reply was a joke that went over my head. Still, I consider this a funny topic (albeit pointless in our specific community).

10-26-2015 03:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
Lol. Funny thing is ADOM is pretty sexist by modern equality paranoia. 90% of NPCs in the game are male, female monsters are explicitly "female", female characters get price bonus strictly by Ap (though all shopkeeps are male, so it kinda makes sense but still remains sexist).

The first (correct me if I'm wrong) explicit word ("bitch") in ADOM was added along with the ice queen and is used to referred to her by the chaos diplomat and Yggaz. Offtopic here, but this left me with a sour taste (not because of sexist shenanigans, but because of unnecessary crudeness of the word).

Unless your reply was a joke that went over my head. Still, I consider this a funny topic (albeit pointless in our specific community).
I always felt sorry about it and was thinking about submitting a couple of RFE.
Other roguelikes (sorry, again DF) were able to solve the wording problem by giving to both creatures specific male and female titles: boar / sow, hunter / huntress, etc.

Chaos Diplomat is out of question. That's the only precedent in the who game whic affects female NPC, one female NPC of three in-game (maybe four if Oracle is female, never cared).

TB has already started to work in direction of adding female NPC by adding Ice Queen (he could add Ice King?). But a lot more work has to be done in that direction.

Heck, dev team forgot about female tiles which is still an open issue and it will be never 100% fixed - tiles will be added only for the worst cases e.g. female dark sages.

Going even farther from the OP, I don't many girls who like playing video games and I don't know myself even one who likes roguelike genre. So probably it is cruel but justified.

10-26-2015 04:19 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Going even farther from the OP, I don't many girls who like playing video games and I don't know myself even one who likes roguelike genre. So probably it is cruel but justified.
I don't get it. I thought girls just wanna have fun.

10-26-2015 07:13 PM
I don't get it. I thought girls just wanna have fun.
That's just personal experience. I can be totally wrong.

10-26-2015 11:32 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, I would like to suggest that there be racial variation with the female spellcasters, specifically of the mist elven variety as they'd make much better bridge building material.

10-27-2015 01:41 AM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
I guess I would look at this from a different angle than the 'modern equality paranoia' one.

We all (I think) want the ADOM community to grow and more people to be able to enjoy the game. And I do wonder if this sort of thing makes it harder for females to get into ADOM.

I don't pretend to know the answer to that question myself, but I do think it is worth asking.

10-27-2015 01:45 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
That's just personal experience. I can be totally wrong.
Okay, now I have no idea what is going on. Ixi, what Auric said was a line from an 80's song. Are we on the same page here?

10-27-2015 07:17 AM
Ancient Member
We all (I think) want the ADOM community to grow and more people to be able to enjoy the game. And I do wonder if this sort of thing makes it harder for females to get into ADOM.

I don't pretend to know the answer to that question myself, but I do think it is worth asking.
I am pretty sure the reason there are few female roguelikers is historical. Female gamers overall is a rather modern phenomenon (just my general feeling, I don't have raw data) and they are still in the minority. The average rogueliker age is significantly higher than an average gamer age (mostly because people got into gaming early on where the genre was popular). So do the math.

10-27-2015 07:40 AM
Ancient Member
Well, if anyone even cares if I seriously mean for it to get implemented then they aren't treating the topic with the appropriate levity--the priority #1 should have been a big clue though (if you rate a suggestion as #1 you're either arrogant, joking, or you accidentally filed it as a feature instead of a bug).

if you really want to know, I'd be flattered if Thomas thought it was amusing enough to add to the game, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it wasn't.

What I want to know is why everyone is eager to out themselves as a dour, po-faced bore over in this thread yet only two people can form an opinion on my
tracking skill suggestion
. A suggestion which, for the record, isn't a joke.
If it makes you feel better, after reading your note, I headed over to 3948 and registered a downvote on the tracking skill.

+ Reply