Ultimate ADOM graphics
issueid=6302 09-08-2018 11:43 AM
Number of reported issues by bondvt04@gmail.com: 3
Ultimate ADOM graphics
Ultimate ADOM graphics

Good times of day!

I don't know what is your position about open source and all, but I'll take a chance. I'm a big fan of an original nethack game. I tried different tilesets, tried vulture (semi 3d nethack project), tried NethackCocoa (since I use mac as laptop). And nothing is as good as ADOM ultimate' graphics. I tried it on steam and I'm really impressed.
I know that ASCII is a "true" way for playing nethack and all, but... You know, I like nethack a much but I have to agree that ADOM' playing process much more simple and pleasant. It does really matter.

Therefore I have a proposition/request - can you please work somehow with nethack devs or on your own and create ADOM like gui (or at least tiles) for nethack? For me, as for an ordinary user, it does not really matter, which name will be on such project, or if it free or commercial project (I ready to buy it, cos nethack is one of the roots of all roguelikes (imho), so I want to finish it at least once (consider it a "pilgrimage"). I'm sure that many players agree with me).

So.. Can you please pay homage to the roots and make nethack more playable? :) I believe that many players after playing ADOM want to try nethack also and.. just can't cos it's graphics is really terrible.

P.S. I can imagine how hard it can be to implement, since game worlds are really different, game ideas are different, animations (like beam magic etc) are different, "graphic engines" are different (for example, in ADOM hero' tile is really moves smoothly, while in nethack it changes position instantly) etc etc etc.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6302
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status Rejected
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM 3.3.0
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-12-2018 01:08 PM
The Creator
Thanks for praising our graphics. Krys, our lead artist, is a true magician and we are incredibly proud to have him on board.

And we are even more excited about how we are going to push the limits of roguelike graphics with Ultimate ADOM (http://www.adom.de/ultimate). Sadly as a consequence we do not have any time to work on Nethack-related activities (especially given the fact that it costs us a ton of money to produce the ADOM graphics which again in turn are not free to use by other projects). Sorry for not being able to be more helpful here but our pilgrimage (to use your terms) is to provide the ultimate experience in roguelike gaming and thus we will remain focussed on Ultimate ADOM.

09-14-2018 07:47 AM
Alas! Of course I understand you, money and all stuff. After all, doing "nethack related activities" (making this game playable for many players) means postponing of some new ADOM features. Not every company (least to say) can do such decisions. Anyway, thank you for your job, ultimate is really a great project.

+ Reply