Goggles
issueid=459 09-04-2011 12:16 AM
Number of reported issues by ironcash: 17
Goggles
possible goggle qualities

Here is some ideas I thought of for goggles as possible equipment. Please suggest more magic goggles, ideas to change my ideas special properties or names. Positive and negative critisms are all welcome :P

Goggles ? take up the head slot. All goggles protect from mud that might be thrown in the face, maybe blinding flashes of light. Also might reduce damage that would be caused by sandstorms and prevent vision restrictions from things like sandstorms

Magic goggles: possible prefix/suffixes

True seeing - allows you to instantly identify hidden doors/traps, prevents confusion attacks from doppelgangers, and other benefits?

Eagle eyes ? lesser, intermediate, greater. Either grants a bonus to perception, or grants a benefit to amount of squares pc can see away.

Foggy ? Either reduces perception or amount of squares pc can see away.

Drunk ? either makes all npc?s look like nymphs or makes all npc appear as a blur (I like the challenge this one might present, feel free to fiddle with the name/qualities  )

x-ray ? allows pc to see through walls to a certain extent, may only show if there is a room/hall on other side of wall, may show that there is a monster, allows pc to easily identify secret doors/traps?
Sunglasses ? tinted goggles reduce perception, increase resistance to blinding flashes

Literacy/knowledge ? allows pc better understanding of books/scrolls

Blindness- pc can?t see (autocursing?)

Laser eyes ? allows pc to drain some pps to shoot lasers/lighting or something to that effect out of goggles

Confusion ? confuses pc

Nerdy ? lowers pc?s appearance

protection/defence - increase dv/pv

all ideas welcome :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 459
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-04-2011 01:49 PM
The idea isn't too bad, but my first question is... why should Goggles take up the headgear space? Personally, I'd like to see them be distinct spaces, with some headgear taking up both the headwear and eyewear slots (for instance, helmets should take up both slots).

As for your ideas, I figured I'd start by going through your ideas, then add a few of my own.

True Seeing - I'd call them "Lenses of Truth", as a reference to the Lens of Truth from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Eagle Eyes - Call them "Farsight Glasses", and have them work like the spell, increasing distance of vision.
Foggy - These aren't really needed. Just make them the cursed version of Farsight Glasses.
Drunk - Just call them "Beer Goggles". As for effect, how about making it cause all humanoids to look like they're townspeople, even when they're, say, ogres.
X-ray - I like the term "X-ray Goggles", and I'd make it work kind of like the Antennae corruption.
Sunglasses - I'd suggest using this as the name for magical glasses, granting the ability to see in darkness. Then, cursed Sunglasses would blind.
Literacy/knowledge - I'd make these an artifact, actually. Call them "Ghost Librarian's Glasses", and have them boost Learning by 5, as well as doubling the number of castings per read and reducing time required to bookcast.
Laser eyes - How about calling it "Cycloptic Visor", as a reference to the Xmen character, Cyclops? And the effect could be an ability to use PPs to shoot a fire bolt, with the side effect being a -1 Pe adjustment.
Confusion - Not really sure that it makes sense to have glasses that simply cause confusion.
Nerdy - "Thick-rimmed Glasses" sounds good. But I'd give them a secondary impact. Lowers Appearance by 2, but boosts all gained experience by 5%.
protection/defence - Doesn't really make much sense, glasses/goggles that protect or defend you from damage in general? I'll have an idea below that has a similar purpose for DV, though.

Now for my ideas:
Rose-coloured Glasses - These glasses increase your luck.
Binoculars - Increases accuracy and chance of critical hit when using missiles, but reduces melee accuracy.
Spectacles of Foresight - Providing the user with foresight, these spectacles boost your DV. They also allow the user to obtain more information regarding an NPC through "Look" than would otherwise be possible, such as immunities and resistances without requiring evidence first.
Monocle - Boosts Charisma by 2, may cause beggars to turn hostile.
Alchemist's Goggles - protects the user from the effects of bad Alchemy. Grants Fire resistance.
Bifocals - counteracts the effects of age on Learning, Willpower, Perception, and Charisma, assuming that age does affect these stats. Otherwise, acts like a lesser version of the Ghost Librarian's Glasses, without the Learning boost and with a reduced impact on castings per read and bookcasting time.
Giggle Goggles - Autocursing. Causes the wearer to giggle uncontrollably. This negates Stealth (due to inability to prevent noise) and halves Charisma (due to looking like a madman).
Spectral Spectacles - Grants the wearer the ability to see invisible, and increases accuracy against ghost-type undead.
Broken Glasses - the result when any of a variety of pairs of glasses get broken. Decreases Appearance and Perception by 2 each. May be mended by a blacksmith to produce Pair of Glasses.
Pair of Glasses - Raises Perception by 2 +/- 3. These would be the most common type of eyewear in the game, and have no other special features.
Polarised Glasses - This one is a play on words. Grants resistance to cold/ice.
Scientist's Goggles - Grants resistance to Acid.

09-06-2011 07:36 AM
true seeingoh yeah should probably allow to see in the dark and invisiblilty. Don't know if that would be too powerful. Either make into artifact or tone down a bit
Thick rimmed glasses is exactly the name I was looking for, nerdy didn't sound right :P maybe make blessed give you a 2-5% xp boost, uncursed 1%, and cursed negative 1-2% xp reduction
laser eyes I was totally thinking of cyclops when I thought of these.
I really like the rose-coloured, alchemist, spectral, and foresight goggles/glasses

Oya night-vision goggles would be cool too.

09-06-2011 09:33 AM
sorry had to make a shorthand post before and remember a couple things i forgot.
I think it would be cool if goggles/glasses had there own equipment spot... give me the idea to also have an ioun stones or something like that

binoculars like the abilty it grants maybe call them accuracy goggles or goggles of precision
monocle can definitely picture that
polarised hehe I get puns

09-06-2011 07:18 PM
I can already think of dozens of way how to die due to you wearing goggles O.o

09-08-2011 11:04 AM
googles, which increase the chance to find interesting items (like treasure hunter, but less I guess)
Gamma goggles increase the 'brightness' of your vision, thus more chance to spot traps or other hidden things. Cursed ones could be so bright as to abuse your perception.

What about glasses breaking when falling or walking into the wall? And if you fall or run into the wall with broken glasses, you receive damage and there's a chance of decreasing perception or appearance.

09-08-2011 12:02 PM
heh - cursed X-ray goggles could then make walls completely invisible. After all, you are looking through them. Then you would probably run into a wall at least once.
Of course, we also need 'polynoculars' for beings with any amount of eyes! Just lots of looking glasses bound together, which can be folded up. Any other glasses would decrease their perception a bit.
Also, Purple glasses which would be autocursing and let everything switch colors all the time, to look like the screen in ADOM when entering the ChAoS gAtE. These should probably disable the 'l'ook command, when implemented.

09-09-2011 04:16 AM
@Moeba, like the googles ability though i dun quite understand the name :) also I like the purple glasses idea though I'de call those kaleidoscopic glasses, and make them change the colors of everything like you were saying, or maybe make everything look like lvl 66 of the infinite dungeon (i think thats the level.) and maybe stun or confuse your characters for a random amount of rounds. Also if your character did make it to a dungeon level that was similar to the level 66 of ID it would appear normal to them.

Your idea also gives me the idea for red/green/blue/yellow,etc... tinted goggles that wouldn't really grant any abilities but would make dungeons and other locations tinted in there respected colors (for aesthetic purposes.)

09-09-2011 11:23 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ironcash
@Moeba, like the googles ability though i dun quite understand the name :)
Google, as in the search engine? Wearing Googles helps you to *find* things?

09-09-2011 06:20 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Google, as in the search engine? Wearing Googles helps you to *find* things?
Ohhhh that would make sense 8-D

09-10-2011 12:52 AM
maybe have something like wiki googles too, that show you info like monster memory or a scroll greater identify when you (l)ook at an item/monster...uncursed gives you normal info, blessed gives all the info, and cursed gives you info that's completely wrong.

09-10-2011 07:56 AM
Ancient Member
I think breaking the fourth wall is something that should only be done with the utmost care. Ancardia is a fantasy world where there are no such things as Google or Wikipedia, and I think adding items with those names would break inmersion. Having a useless item that is a joke and is never actually used for long, like the IBM guild manual, can be OK. But having a character blasting through a dungeon while wearing something useful with a modern name is out of place IMHO.

09-10-2011 08:17 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I think breaking the fourth wall is something that should only be done with the utmost care. Ancardia is a fantasy world where there are no such things as Google or Wikipedia, and I think adding items with those names would break inmersion. Having a useless item that is a joke and is never actually used for long, like the IBM guild manual, can be OK. But having a character blasting through a dungeon while wearing something useful with a modern name is out of place IMHO.
While I agree that "wiki googles" was a bad idea because it specifically refers to Wikipedia and similar things, "googles" is more general, and the word "google" is now officially a word, a synonym for "search". Also note that "googly eyes" was, well before Google came into existence, a term for bulging eyes on a doll or other toy (or occasionally, a person - see Steve Buscemi, for instance). Hence, it works well as a reference in the game, having multiple layers of meaning to it.

Although, I think I'd call them Googly Goggles, avoiding the slight confusion that may happen if people don't get the references involved.

09-10-2011 10:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Agreed - you'd need an in-game reason for the name "googles" that was plausible, I feel, to justify the joke. Similarly, I'm not too comfortable with the idea of goggles in general - glasses were not particularly prevalent until recently, and I've never come across the idea of magic goggles before despite reading a LOT of fantasy. An item that modifies eyesight would feel more natural being a helmet, despite making less physical sense.
*Edit* - although, this has made me go and learn about the history of optics/lensmaking, which can only be a good thing ;)

09-10-2011 03:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anoddlad
Agreed - you'd need an in-game reason for the name "googles" that was plausible, I feel, to justify the joke. Similarly, I'm not too comfortable with the idea of goggles in general - glasses were not particularly prevalent until recently, and I've never come across the idea of magic goggles before despite reading a LOT of fantasy. An item that modifies eyesight would feel more natural being a helmet, despite making less physical sense.
*Edit* - although, this has made me go and learn about the history of optics/lensmaking, which can only be a good thing ;)
Let's none of us forget that JADE is meant to be something like 1000 years after ADoM. I'd like to see signs of developing "technology", in terms of the sorts of technology they had prior to the 20th century. Remember, Newton and his work on optics happened in the 1600s, and the first eyeglasses came about way back in the 1200s.

Prevalence is kind of irrelevant, since the rarity of glasses in JADE can be set at TB's will, anyway.

As for lack of magical goggles in fantasy, I'd think that it's kind of irrelevant, since JADE shouldn't really feel beholden to past fantasy in coming up with its world. References to other fantasy are good, but it should be its own world.

11-09-2011 07:54 PM
I think perhaps goggles should be rarer than other forms of eyewear, ie spectacles or glasses. The only races I can see spontaneously inventing goggles would either be dwarves inventing darkened lens goggles to aid them in forging and possibly Drakelings (which I have always imagined as semi-aquatic for some reason, probably bc they start with Swimming Skill) for use as swim goggles. Otherwise there is really no need to go for the full face enclosure that goggles provide, when glasses would likely be much lighter and more comfortable.

+ Reply