Shields Can Be Disarmed
issueid=874 03-26-2012 07:37 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Shields Can Be Disarmed

Might be intentional, but disarming monsters such as chaos monks can disarm shields as well as weapons.
Issue Details
Issue Number 874
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Not a Bug
Priority 7
Affected Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Fixed Version ADOM II 0.2.4
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-27-2012 01:33 AM
Seems like this should be intentional to me... But who knows

03-27-2012 05:38 PM
Ancient Member
Update: any item in the hands can actually be disarmed. You can exploit this to ID all of your weapons and armor from a single disarming monster.

03-28-2012 01:30 PM
Maybe these monsters could show *some* intelligence and only disarm you if you equip some dangerous stuff - more dangerous than bare hands? (and laugh at you if you get stuck with a cursed plate mail in the right hand and scroll of identify in the left...)

03-28-2012 03:17 PM
Ancient Member
I think monsters should be able to disarm normal cursed weapons (but not any non-weapons, such as scrolls and boots). It's a creative way to get rid of cursed equipment, and players should be rewarded for being creative.

03-28-2012 04:45 PM
Ancient Member
Physically speaking, it makes perfect sense that a monster can disarm anything that you wield in your hand. If the monster knows how to disarm you when you have a sword and you're bashing at it with a book, why wouldn't it make you drop the book as well? I think it's fine that monsters can disarm non-weapons.

About disarming cursed weapons, it depends... if curses in ADOM are physical (weapon physically sticks to hand), they shouldn't be disarmable. If they are more psychological/mental (you would really like to leave that sword, but for some reason you can't bring yourself to do it, it's as if your arm had a mind of its own and had resolved to firmly grip the sword) then they should be disarmable.

Both options are slightly exploitable: cursed weapons being disarmable lets you ID weapons as other people have pointed out (and as in ADOM I), cursed weapons being non-disarmable would give you a defense against disarming monsters (just equip a cursed weapon, as long as you have means of uncursing which are probably going to be quite common in the late game). Anyway, none of those two clever tricks are game-breaking at all. So I think any of both options is fine.

03-28-2012 05:02 PM
Ancient Member
I would suggest just making it that non-weapons/shields don't get identified if they're in your hands. I think that is where this is most exploitable.

03-28-2012 05:04 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I would suggest just making it that non-weapons/shields don't get identified if they're in your hands. I think that is where this is most exploitable.
Oh, is it possible to identify any random item, like a scroll, just by wielding it? I didn't know that. Yes, that "feature" should definitely be removed, not only because it's exploitable but also because it doesn't seem to make much sense...

03-28-2012 05:32 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Oh, is it possible to identify any random item, like a scroll, just by wielding it? I didn't know that. Yes, that "feature" should definitely be removed, not only because it's exploitable but also because it doesn't seem to make much sense...
Well, not all items can be wielded in this game. But yes, any item that can be wielded gets identified.

[edit]Just to be clear, you don't seem to be able to wield scrolls, potions, or food, but all armor can be wielded and IDed through this method, and cursed stuff can then be discarded by disarming.

04-19-2012 03:18 AM
The Creator
While being able to disarm anything is a feature identifying anything but melee weapons when wielding it definitely was a bug and has been fixed for ADOM II 0.2.4.

+ Reply