Wishing for abbreviations
issueid=3428 11-23-2014 07:44 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Zeno: 7
Wishing for abbreviations
You should be able to wish for "socr" instead of "scrolls of chaos resistance"

IVAN (Iter Vehemens Ad Necem) had this great idea that you can wish for "SoCM", "AoLS", etc. instead of typing the full long names of these items.

The same could be done for ADOM:

socr = scrolls of corruption removal
pocc = potions of cure corruption
aols = amulet of life saving
7lb = pairs of seven league boots
soe = scrolls of education
poga = potions of gain attributes
mws = magical writing sets
(this should cover all the common wishes, but please add any missing ones in the comments)

Especially now that there is an "exploration mode" with free wishes in ADOM.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3428
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-23-2014 09:33 PM
Ancient Member
rdsm (red dragon scale mails)
gogs (girdle of giant strength)

And maybe also
shields (tower eternium shields)
roi (rings of ice)

11-24-2014 03:03 AM
Ancient Member
I don't like this because it ruins immersion. Abbreviations are something players use, not player characters. You aren't wishing for stuff all the time (and if you are, you're probably already using macros anyway), so what's the problem with actually typing the full name of the object you want. There's less room for typos that way, too (the parser will recognize "potions of cure corrtion", whereas typing "porc" instead of "pocc" would lead to something really different).

For exploration mode it may be acceptable, though, since that's already not a "normal game" to begin with.

11-25-2014 03:12 PM
I probably wouldn't use these (mostly because I'm paranoid about wishes), but see no reason not to implement these. For dragon scale mail, I'd suggest the format "red dsm" because bdsm can mean both blue and black, and there's that another connotation also. ;)
Also roi would not be good, since rings of invisibility might also be desired. Same would go with wod (wand of death/destruction).

11-25-2014 03:18 PM
I think the fact that various estabilished abbreviations may mean different desirable outcomes for different people [like bor being both bracers of resistance and regeneration] is an argument to not implement those. There's not many times you get to wish for anything in-game, so typing it out isn't a big issue - this really seems like trying to solve a non-existent problem.

I agree with it working for exploration mode, maybe.

11-25-2014 05:36 PM
Ancient Member
anon123 and plllizzz9 are right here -- their concerns sink pretty much any implementation of this (and heck -- what even GETS abbreviated? just the things the community commonly abbreviates already? that doesn't hold well).

11-25-2014 06:53 PM
What gets abbreviated and what doesn't has been determined by rec.games.roguelike.adom already several millennia ago. ;)

+ Reply