Allow merging different +hit/+damage quarrels and arrows of *same* slaying into single stack.
issueid=1705 01-10-2013 01:44 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Allow merging different +hit/+damage quarrels and arrows of *same* slaying into single stack.

When playing PC which uses archery more or less for the entire game, I always get annoyed by the large variation of arrow and/or quarrel parameters which prevent them from stacking.
It's not uncommon to gather 4-5 groups of 2-3 or 4 arrows/quarrels of *foo* slaying that differ by only a single point of to-hit or to-damage and subsequently do not stack within one useful quiver but rather have to be reloaded one after another.

In one of my recent games, I went on a longer campaign in BDC. Lots of ancient dragons and wyrms require lots of dragon slaying ammo, so here's a sample of my inventory just before taking Sharad-Waador's quest:

bundle of 2 uncursed arrows of dragon slaying (+3, 2d6+2)
bundle of 5 uncursed arrows of dragon slaying (+3, 2d6+4)
bundle of 3 uncursed arrows of dragon slaying (+2, 2d6+3)
bundle of 2 uncursed arrows of dragon slaying (+4, 2d6+4)
bundle of 11 uncursed arrows of dragon slaying (+3, 2d6+3)

I wouldn't mind if all of these could be stacked, even at the cost of losing a point or two points of to-hit and to-damage (rounding down to the lowest value).
Perhaps give the option to merge the different arrows of *same* slaying, averaging the damage and hit modifiers?
What about scrolls of increase melee accuracy/damage - could they not be made to work on projectiles similarly as on standard weapons?
Obviously arrows made of different materials should be excluded from stackability, or perhaps suffer a penalty of converting to normal materials to be able to stack with the rest?

Overall, it would streamline the inventory quite a bit and remove an annoying element from the game at next to no cost in balance, since you still have to find the arrows in the first place.
Perhaps make this an Archery skill dependent ability? I'm just doing a lot of guess work here, but the original idea still stands.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1705
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-10-2013 01:55 PM
Ancient Member
Very similar to http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1415 and essentially same as Aielyn's suggestion in that thread.

01-10-2013 01:57 PM
Ancient Member
There's such a huge abundance of RFE's that I didn't notice it's already there.
Well, it might as well work as a reminder.

01-18-2014 07:13 AM
Maybe remove +hit and +damage modifiers from ammo of slaying? Then they will all be the same and stack naturally (still three heaps due to BUC status).

01-22-2014 07:28 PM
The Creator
I actually love the idea of simply fixing this by making the to hit and to damage modifiers constant. This seems to be the most trivial way to fix this without introducing new commands or anything.

01-22-2014 07:28 PM
The Creator
@stgatilov: Please send me your real name for the credits to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com. And Blasphemous, too.

10-23-2018 03:08 AM
I know this is an old thread but I ended up here via a new thread "List of Must Fixes"
(I'm not forum proficient and am unsure how to insert a link to that thread)
How about a high Fletchery skill and a knife (or dagger ?) in the tool slot allows the PC to reduce either the to-hit or damage modifier by 1 at a time ?
This could be seen at flight trimming ?

10-23-2018 04:41 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Rostelle
I know this is an old thread but I ended up here via a new thread "List of Must Fixes"
(I'm not forum proficient and am unsure how to insert a link to that thread)
How about a high Fletchery skill and a knife (or dagger ?) in the tool slot allows the PC to reduce either the to-hit or damage modifier by 1 at a time ?
This could be seen at flight trimming ?
There's no longer to-hit or damage variation, hence why this is already marked as implemented (with no natural variation, adding a mechanic to manually lower the values is pointless).

10-24-2018 08:19 AM
Oops! Apologies
Have just started playing ADOM recently again after a long gap (got version from Gog)
The previous version I was playing on was 1.1.1
I'd better start investigating things more thoroughly before happily posting my ruminations
(Slightly chagrined face)

+ Reply