Room Effects
issueid=748 02-17-2012 05:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Room Effects
Some room effects don't seem to do anything

I'm going to call this a bug, but I guess it could be construed more as a feature request. There are a number of special messages that do not appear to do anything at all, and it would seem to make sense that they ought to. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug, though, on the basis that it is entirely possible that these effects were never intended to do anything.

Here's a list:

- You notice a pale fading ball of light upon entering this room. It quickly disappears.
- You hear an eerie wail for a few seconds...
- You hear a strange "*TCHUNK*" in your vicinity.
- A rat scurries between your feet and disappears in a small hole in the ground.
- For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears.

There is also one pool effect that appears to do nothing and seems like it should:

-Your blood seems to cool down.

I suppose it is also possible that these effects do something, but it is so minor that nobody has ever noticed...
Issue Details
Issue Number 748
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Won't Fix
Priority Unknown
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-17-2012 06:01 PM
Ancient Member
Your blood seems to cool down.
That one would have stopped bleeding, had you been losing blood. Similarly, "Nothing happens." appears when the pool would have healed you, but you were at full HP.

As for the rest, I don't see why every room effect should do something. I assume those are there just to add flavor to the dungeon exploring the PC does.

02-17-2012 06:52 PM
Ancient Member
Gotta agree with anon123. These messages don't have to do anything to be spooky.

Better yet, if you figure out they do something after all, don't tell us!

01-10-2013 06:31 PM
The Creator
I see no reason to lower the mystery surrounding certain rooms.

01-11-2013 11:56 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
I see no reason to lower the mystery surrounding certain rooms.
Is there something as-yet undiscovered by the community? I'm not asking for specifics, but simply confirming that something that we think is completely meaningless or useless actually has a hidden meaning or use (or confirming otherwise) would be nice.

01-11-2013 12:08 PM
I totally second Aielyn.

01-12-2013 01:40 PM
Answering the question "is there a mystery here?" would also be spoiling the mystery.

01-13-2013 01:09 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
Answering the question "is there a mystery here?" would also be spoiling the mystery.
Which is why I don't want him giving indication of WHERE the mystery is, just indicating whether or not all mysteries have been solved, yet.

01-13-2013 02:37 PM
Answering the question "Is there a mystery?" would spoil the mystery of whether or not there is a mystery.

It's funny because it's true!

08-27-2015 03:19 PM
I believe that "you hear a strange *TCHUNK* in your vicinity" means that a monster has fallen into a pit.

+ Reply