Make Surges of Pulsing Power More Common
issueid=4620 11-18-2016 06:47 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Make Surges of Pulsing Power More Common

I have seen this dungeon feature a grand total of once. Over the course of 16 wins (and many losses) in r69 I have seen it zero times. I think they could stand to be significantly more common; maybe on-par-with or a little less common than normal surges of power (which are themselves rare). They are one of the most challenging and fun ways to obtain a random artifact, an it's a shame that they almost never occur.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4620
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-18-2016 10:16 AM
Ancient Member
I would increase the occurrence in higher DL areas. I remember getting a pulsing surge in PC:2 or around there.
Needless to say, I had to return 20 levels later and even then it was a tough spot.
To top it all they guarded something like glaive or another shitty, low-DL artifact.

11-18-2016 04:48 PM
I have the impression that as Thomas has added more "special" dungeon features (statues, shifting rooms...) then other existing features (vaults, shops) have become progressively rarer. I saw a couple of these rooms occur right after they were introduced, but haven't seen any since. Maybe it's time for a revision of the code that picks these features.
Overall, what percentage of unscripted levels should be 'special' in some way? 1/3?

11-21-2016 08:34 AM
Ancient Member
vaults and dungeon features have become exceedingly rare in the early CoC levels. Reported as a bug which was not found but you know, black box testing makes it pretty obvious.

12-10-2017 01:06 PM
Bumping the issue because I haven't see these anymore either, and it makes me sad. :-(

12-10-2017 01:56 PM
Yes, I would like the old vault frequency back into CoC. It's still next to zero.

Also agree that the pulsating power room could be slightly more common. Also I've seen them only once. However, I disagree with them needing to be deep in CoC or more on par with danger level. Adom is all about picking your fights.

12-11-2017 12:20 AM
Agreed, if only because there are so many new artifacts.

12-11-2017 04:32 AM
I agree, I'd really like to see the frequency of vaults and shops upgraded again to approach what it was prior to Deluxe.
Pulsating power rooms definitely need to be made more common. Doubling the frequency might be reasonable even without the depth requirements.

06-07-2021 04:31 PM
Bouncing this one up. I've probably played a hundred games after this thread started and only now I got to see this room a second time. I had actually forgotten that they exist :)

+ Reply