Making torches
issueid=79 05-12-2009 09:09 AM
Number of reported issues by phauli: 2
Making torches

A cool feature would be IMHO to be able to make torches your self. I dont know if it would be possible to actually work in the game but my suggestion would be 'U'sing a bandage on a wooden stick then 'D'ipping it in a potion of oil and viola, a DIY torch! Comments anyone?
Issue Details
Issue Number 79
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 16
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-12-2009 09:20 PM
Ancient Member
Using a bandage with a wooden stick? Nice idea actually. No one ever uses bandages and few ever use wooden sticks, so this might be a nice and workable touch to improve the usefulness of both. Wouldn't add a potion of oil to the requirements though.

05-13-2009 05:26 AM
Ancient Member
Maybe using a potion of oil should increase the "remaining fuel" considerably - that way using oil wouldn't be necessary, but recommended.

Nice little idea, even if this won't get into ADOM it should be implemented in JADE.

08-19-2012 08:30 AM
I just reinvented this idea, and was promptly shown this one. I'll add my original post here instead:

You can go about this in two ways:

1) Oily rag
You need a new item, an oily rag. This is created by dipping a bandage in a potion of oil. If the rag is later 'u'sed with a wooden stick, you get a torch.

2) Dry torch
Instead of a new item, you can have a new property of the regular torch: dry. You can create a dry torch by wrapping bandages around a wooden stick. This would show up in the inventory as "torch (dry)". This torch can be dipped in a potion of oil to create a new torch.

Common to these are that you get a new torch with a known amount of fuel left. The amount of fuel could be affected by the B/U/C status of the items involved, or perhaps only of the oil. The torch itself should have the same B/U/C status as the wooden stick.

And I do think that oil should be necessary in some way.

12-08-2012 03:24 PM
The Creator
While I totally like the idea I do not plan to add more complex construction interactions to ADOM. Please suggest this feature in the ADOM II issue database as it would be trivial to add with the existing construction system in ADOM II. Please go to http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?projectid=3 and submit it there once more. Lovely idea!

02-17-2013 06:49 AM
This should be marked as rejected, then. Cool idea, though :)

01-08-2014 04:09 PM
Ancient Member
I'm playing a necromancer so it stands to reason that I will dig up old threads and reanimate them like corpses :D
I voted yes on this.

01-08-2014 04:44 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by aerol
This should be marked as rejected, then. Cool idea, though :)
Detail-wise, definitely. Thankfully torches at least now have a higher spawn rate.

01-09-2014 10:19 AM
Potions of Oil are quite rare, perhaps any potion of suitable combustible (booze) could do?

+ Reply