Ability to explore talent tree
issueid=4026 11-18-2015 09:19 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Ability to explore talent tree

See http://steamcommunity.com/app/333300...1136928505017/

-------------------------------------------------------------
It's super unclear that there are really good talents hidden behind really miniscule talents. Eg. Hardy (+3 hp) seems like a total waste if you don't know it can lead to Iron Skin and Immune to Pain.

I know it's a lot, but having an actual talent tree we can look at would go a long way to making talents more usable / understandable. Right now you basically have to use the wiki to figure out talents :(

Barring a graphic talent tree, even just showing child talents with indents would be wonderful.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4026
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 11
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

11-18-2015 09:36 PM
Ancient Member
Child talents can get pretty extensive, and they're not always direct children (Alert + Miser = TH), or Melee Weapon Master (just showing children might make it look like you need *every* weapon affinity)

Another way might be to have (grayed out) talents that you can't get yet, and have them show you what requirements you *can* meet right now (the only tricky one probably being Melee Weapon Master since it has so many weird prereqs). Then you can go pick one of those (might also say how many talents it would take to get there)

11-18-2015 09:56 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
Another way might be to have (grayed out) talents that you can't get yet, and have them show you what requirements you *can* meet right now (the only tricky one probably being Melee Weapon Master since it has so many weird prereqs). Then you can go pick one of those (might also say how many talents it would take to get there)
Came here to post this. A toggle key would work great like in Crawl's skill screen, it shows you all skills you can train, but if you press * it shows you all the skills in the game grayed out and you can select them for help/more info.

11-18-2015 10:25 PM
I'm not sure the talent tree should all be viewable at once, but it'd be nice for people to at least have the chance to see what they're missing over time.
I have two suggestions - first, hapro's, toggling the tree to show All or Available, with those that have unmet prerequisites show up greyed-out with the prereqs listed in red underneath. Second, have the talent list show only those unmet-prereq talents they've already taken in previous lifetimes when they select a new talent - this fits nicely with the idea of experience growing with multiple incarnations (like the Bug Temple) but doesn't entirely spoil the player.

11-19-2015 04:59 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah, a tree wouldn't work due to the way these things works (just look at the crazy chart the IGB had to do).

I like the idea of a toggle-able "all talents" that displays grayed-out talents you can't take yet.

11-19-2015 05:18 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic V had to draw skill wheel with all the dependencies to get this. Could the same be done in NotEye? Assign a picture to each talent, put ones who don't require anything closer to borders, talent tree ends closer to the center. Add a tooltip for each picture. Would it work?
It would be tricky to implement but an option to hide talents impossible to take could save space if that round layout could be created dynamically.

11-19-2015 05:32 PM
Ancient Member
I presume simply telling people to read section F of the manual wouldn't work :p

11-19-2015 05:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I presume simply telling people to read section F of the manual wouldn't work :p
It should work, but it's less than intuitive, unless the Talents section itself has a message somewhere saying "see the full list at-"

11-30-2015 09:12 PM
Well... Could this be implemented as a short-term solution?
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4126

12-01-2015 02:56 AM
I turned to the dark side -- starting actively looking for spoilers -- when the talents were added. I had no desire to personally explore the talent tree. You overhear people talking about 'heir' being the best thing ever but you have no clue how to get it. I would prefer the talent tree to be transparent -- meaning visible. At some point I'll add a RFE to highlight the level 1 talents at level one, too (I think I simply like listing the level 1 restricted talents first, in their own section).

+ Reply