Software Failures (crash) in Amiga version
issueid=1164 08-09-2012 09:54 PM
Number of reported issues by pipe: 13
Software Failures (crash) in Amiga version
When starting from the workbench with the icon, Adom always crash at exit.

I have a strange problem here that I have yet to find the root cause of, but basically: When I start Adom from the workbench by doubleclicking on the icon, Adom will throw up a Software Failure after I exit the game. If I start it from the shell, this does not seem to happen.

When this happens, I get hits from MuForce (same as Enforcer). "Name: "Adom" SegList is invalid!!!". Some ROM system call is trying to read/write at address 0.

The same thing happens with or without showing the GUI. That is, if I remove all the tooltypes in the launcher icon and run Adom from the shell, the GUI will pop up, the game will start, and will not crash at exit. If I remove all the tooltypes, run Adom from workbench, it will crash at exit.

Even if I strip my system down to the bare minimum (OS 3.0 clean setup, just calling SetPatch and LoadWB) it happens. It doesn't actually crash, but I get the same hits in MuForce, indicating that the problem is still there but it doesn't immediately destroy anything.

So I suspect that the startup code is doing something different when starting from the icon, that is not taken care of reliably at program exit.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1164
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Amiga OS
Status Cannot Reproduce
Priority 4
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

08-10-2012 05:19 PM
Administrator
That's odd... I'm sure I tested both ways without a crash (I did not use MuForce though). For the new version I had to switch to a different compiler (for 64 bit support), so there might be differences in the startup code.

Can you test if the crash also happens if you add a "STACK" setting with value 50000 to the icon?

08-13-2012 09:39 PM
It crashes even with a stack of 500000.

BUT! I might have additional insight to the problem now after I did a comparison with version 1.0.0. It's like this:

When the game exits, it prints out a message saying "Till next time, adventurer!"

In version 1.0.0, starting from the shell prints it out in the shell, and starting from the icon prints it out in a dedicated console window that opens just for this purpose.

In version 1.2.0p1, starting from the shell prints it out in the shell when quitting, but when I start it from the icon, it doesn't.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies with the printing of that message, and that perhaps your new compiler doesn't automatically create such a console window when trying to print. Maybe there's a compiler flag for this?

03-02-2013 01:17 PM
Administrator
The good news is, my Amiga 3000 still works. The bad news is that apparently the (last) harddisk died, so it doesn't boot. This was to be expected since I didn't turn on the Amiga for a couple of years. I'm gonna try to find a replacement SCSI disk that fits (@pipe: any hints?), so that I can get the system up and running again. :)

07-24-2013 08:18 PM
Administrator
I'm sorry, the problem could not be reproduced by another Amiga owner. Maybe it was fixed in a more recent prerelease, so please try a newer version.

+ Reply