Typo collection
issueid=716 02-01-2012 09:25 PM
Administrator
Number of reported issues by jt: 159
Typo collection

From bug list:

The following typos were fixed:

Polemarms - It says 'Affinity for polemarms' in the initial selection screen for talents.

Sacrificing an animated tree - *MORTAL, I AM NOT BUILDING A BLOODY GARDEN UP HERE! NO MORE TREES! }*

Adequataly - It says 'and adequataly connected to the flow of mana' in the monster memory for a displacer beast.

To you - The game asks: 'What type of scroll to you wish to create?'

With missing - A weather report: 'The sky is filled blazing stars.'

Is fills - Another weather report: 'This moon-lit night is fills with oppressive heat.'

On/in - When entering the Old Barbarian's clearing, the message that appears is 'You immediately feel at peace on this beautiful clearing.'

Skeletal king (monster memory) - Both instances of "It's" should be "Its,". Also, the fifth sentence seems as if it should begin "Skeletal kings" instead of "Skeletal Kings,".

Greater white unicorn - Missing 'to' in its speech: 'Once I will be able all corruption that has been inflicted upon you.'

Absolutly - It says 'You feel absolutly mad!' after eating a greater claw bug corpse.

Two weapon - One message is: 'Weight of the two weapon'.

Water orb - The message when putting the orb is 'Suddenly the humidity dispenses and everything is normal once more.' - it should be 'disperses'.

Tamborine - It should be Tambourine(s).

'The the djinni is gone.' - There is a 'the' too much in the message displayed when a djinni disappears.

Homunculus (monster memory) - It says: 'They are able to make you fall asleep by touch you.' It should be '[...] asleep by touching [...]'.
Issue Details
Issue Number 716
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status In Progress
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-27-2013 09:25 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
Actually, 'The defeated' in this case is plural, rather than singular. Which makes 'bleed to death' correct.
Oops! My bad, then. I'll correct the post.

08-27-2013 08:21 PM
Ancient Member
When a Chaos Knight character prays to Andor Drakon, his responses to you "Mortal ye art a nuisance","I hearby crown you my champion", etc. should be in cHaOs speech.

08-28-2013 12:00 PM
Ancient Member
When you receive Rolf's Saviour (the shield) from Thrundarr, he says:
"Take this shield as an useful addition to yer equipment."
Should be a instead of an.

08-28-2013 07:40 PM
Administrator
Fixed all typos up to this point, except for JellySlayers suggestion (I need some input from Thomas first).

09-19-2013 07:48 AM
Some typos in the question system:
- "to strenghten your own power" ---> "to strengthen your own power"
- "to the neighbour village" ---> "to the neighboring village"
- "take some of the slaves home to you to do the hard work" ---> "take some of the slaves home with you to do the hard work" (2 instances)
- "train three spirited young colts" ---> "train three spirited colts" (the adjective is redundant, since colts are young horses)
- "several items you would like you take" ---> "several items you would like to take"
- "attack the guards head on" ---> "attack the guards head-on"
- "ignoring the pleads of your father" ---> "ignoring the pleas of your father"

Not sure about this one:
- "Your leg is badly hurt and you can't travel fast enough to reach a safe place before dawn": maybe it should be "dusk" instead of "dawn"

US vs. UK English:
- "about his behaviour" ---> "about his behavior"
- "the behaviour of the townsfolk" ---> "the behavior of the townsfolk"
- "despite your meagre swimming skills" ---> "despite your meager swimming skills"
- Various instances of "travelling" (3 times), "traveller" (2 times), "travellers" (once) ---> "traveling", "traveler", "travelers"

10-17-2013 07:58 PM
Ancient Member
In the Manual under Q The Inventory & Item Descriptrion, subsection Beasts of Burden:

"If your PC carries a lot of stuff, he'll get hungrier soon."

PC doesn't fit as most of ADoM is in first person even in the same paragraph and a new or 'disconnected' player might not know what PC stands for. Even though it is mentioned in the 'Player character' section.

Female characters also need more nutrition when burdened.

"soon" should maybe be "sooner", but I'm not english.

So the sentence should maybe read: "If you carry a lot of stuff, you'll get hungrier sooner."

Two sentences further states: "...(from burdened over strained to very strained and overburdened)..."

Perhaps rather: "...(from burdened, to strained, to very strained and to overburdened)..."

10-18-2013 07:07 PM
Administrator
Fixed all typos up to this point, except for JellySlayers suggestion (I need some input from Thomas first).

11-04-2013 03:59 PM
Ancient Member
I just had the following exchange:

"The ancient blue dragon breathes a lightning bolt at the goblin rockthrower! You are annoyed by the death of your friend! The goblin rockthrower is hit by the a lightning bolt and annihilated. The giant rust monster evades the a lightning bolt. The giant rust monster dodges the a lightning bolt." (the)

11-28-2013 08:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
"You never liked the -foo-, anyways." (anyway; "anyways" is nonstandard)
A note on "nonstandard" uses: we should keep in mind that these ensure the "Ancardian" feeling of the language in the game. Because of this, in my opinion, they should be kept, including the example above. We should focus on actual typos and mistakes, not on standardizing the language in the game. Let's keep in mind the game already features many instances of nonstandard spellings to reflect idiosyncratic pronunciation and language use on the part of NPCs. There's nothing wrong with a little nonstandard English in the Drakalor Chain.

11-28-2013 08:30 PM
Ancient Member
ADOM is a highly text-driven game, and as a consequence of this, it has taught me a ton of English words and vocabulary. I am guessing that was also the case for many other people, and for that reason, I think it would be better to use the more widely accepted spelling of a word whenever possible. The example in the quote being an in-game message rather than something an NPC says, I believe this reasoning should apply for it. But of course, it's TB's call :)

11-28-2013 11:00 PM
It's true that this is an in-game message, not an NPC, inscription, etc, but I believe my point is still valid. As you said, it's team Adom's call :)

As a related aside, I have also learned many English words thanks to Adom (halberd comes to mind), but two things have to be kept in mind here - first, Ancardia's a fantasy world, not a classroom - second, as a foreign language teacher myself, I believe there is a time and a place for nonstandard or so-called nonstandard language even in the classroom. A good rule of thumb for this is to leave "also corrects" (words and turns of phrase that are correct in another dialect) stand. That's the case of "anyways", which is commonly found alongside "anyway" in American English (and other flavors of English).

12-01-2013 06:29 AM
Some typos in the descriptions of boss monsters,
- Althenia: "and as the echos die" ---> "and as the echoes die"
- Avril Cerby: "It mockingly abopts your posture" ---> "It mockingly adopts your posture"
- Hodge: "Hodge is a drecepit old hag" ---> "Hodge is a decrepit old hag"

in the description of a statue,
- "You feel as if he dissaproves of your beggard look" ---> "You feel as if he disapproves of your beggared look"

and in the inscription of another:
- "Ignorance is strenght." ---> "Ignorance is strength."

12-01-2013 05:30 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by TDau
That one is probably intentional :)

12-02-2013 11:12 PM
Ancient Member
In the manual under the section on 'Customizing ADOM & Keyboard Redefinitions & Command Line Options'

Walk_Carefully
true, false: if set to true ADOM will abort Walk-Mode as soon as you spot a non-tame monster. The default value is 'true'.

'non-tame' should be 'hostile'.

12-20-2013 06:08 AM
A couple of typos in the adom.kbd file:
- "this is not necessarily recommened" ---> "this is not necessarily recommended"
- "functions for targetting" ---> "functions for targeting"

and in adom.msg:
- "Benefical date effects" ---> "Beneficial date effects"
- "They are destored." ---> "They are destroyed."

Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Quote Originally Posted by TDau
That one is probably intentional :)
It didn't occur to me, but, yeah, it may well be. I guess it's best to leave the text as it is then.

03-12-2014 11:32 PM
Noticed in the piranha thread: "Deep water filled with tiny but cruel-looking, red fish." Needs comma removed. (Alternately you could add a second comma after "tiny", but I think that doesn't flow as well.)

04-30-2014 10:06 PM
Ancient Member
If you free a monster from the prison in the Ice Queen Domain, it will generate the following message:
"The chaos eye hiss with joy as it sees you!"

Seems like base form of the verb is used, not the one with "s/es".

07-08-2014 10:34 AM
p23:
"The ice queen wants you to dispose Hotzenplotz, the crime lord."

Should read:

"The ice queen wants you to dispose _of_ Hotzenplotz, the crime lord.")

07-09-2014 02:03 AM

Character Creation

I love how Chaos Knights get a unique intro as opposed to most characters, but I noticed this error:

At the age of (x) you burned all ties to your past and dance upon the graves of those who had wronged you.

Shuld it be danced, seeing as this is all written in the past tense?

07-20-2014 09:33 AM
Reload with the bundle of 6 uncursed quarrels and thunder (+1, 2d6)? ([y]es,
[n]o, [q]uit)

Inventory shows them as quarrels of thunder as it should be.

EDIT: Plural seems to be wrong:

You pick up the uncursed quarrel of thunder (+1, 2d6). You add the uncursed
quarrel of thunder (+1, 2d6) to your ammunition.
You pick up the bundle of 2 uncursed quarrels and thunder (+1, 2d6). You add
the bundle of 2 uncursed quarrels and thunder (+1, 2d6) to your
ammunition.
Should be fixed by now.

+ Reply