Add new command: vomit
issueid=1424 12-11-2012 10:13 PM
Number of reported issues by Pim: 9
Add new command: vomit
Allow any character to lower their satiation level at will

Along the established lines of Wipe face and Clean ears, I suggest a new command: Vomit.

Main use would be to reduce satiation level.

Perhaps also allow projectile vomiting. Vomit in a direction, range 1, maybe more depending on just how bloated you are. Splash your enemies for very very small water / kinetic damage. Splash your friends, possibly turning neutrals into hostiles, possibly garnering big laughs from the townsfolk.

The purpose during normal gameplay would be to reduce satiation below bloated, in order to allow for the eating of useful corpses before they rot away. Also, if projectile vomiting is allowed, could be used to anger neutral npcs (a la Ventriloquism).
Issue Details
Issue Number 1424
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 16
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-07-2013 02:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mike3
What sort of special corpses drop that frequently that you can eat them up so fast? You mean like ogres? I don't seem to get any St. gains from those. Perhaps because I don't usually play characters starting with low St all that often.
Maybe you hit a vault or tension room. Maybe you're in the quickling tree or bug temple. Maybe you found a bunch of juicy morsels in the banshee level. Maybe you've been cooking helpful corpses as you go and storing them for later. Maybe you've got a fat stack of morgia root on hand. Maybe you're attacking a warband of stone giants or an ogre army, or the ogre cave next to dwarftown. Need I go on?

EDIT - Ogres give strength gains more frequently when they're blessed, when you have low strength to begin with, or when they're more powerful ogres (lords, kings, emperors). But they do give them.

01-07-2013 02:05 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Black Mantis
Maybe you hit a vault or tension room. Maybe you're in the quickling tree or bug temple. Maybe you found a bunch of juicy morsels in the banshee level. Maybe you've been cooking helpful corpses as you go and storing them for later. Maybe you've got a fat stack of morgia root on hand. Maybe you're attacking a warband of stone giants or an ogre army, or the ogre cave next to dwarftown. Need I go on?

EDIT - Ogres give strength gains more frequently when they're blessed, when you have low strength to begin with, or when they're more powerful ogres (lords, kings, emperors). But they do give them.
Ah. Forgot about bugs. :)

I wonder about this idea: have some kind of potion that can, when drunk, induce vomiting. What do you think?

01-07-2013 02:07 AM
Ah. Forgot about bugs. :)

I wonder about this idea: have some kind of potion that can, when drunk, induce vomiting. What do you think?
I actually like that. And potions can be drunk while bloated already, so no game mechanics need be changed.

01-07-2013 03:06 AM
Here's an idea. Don't eat till you're bloated! Satiated is good, but not bloated. don't eat when you're bloated.

01-07-2013 07:25 AM
Ancient Member
I think a lot of people are missing that completely nerfing the bloated status is pretty dumb--what is the point of even having it then? It serves a useful purpose and is fine as-is.

01-07-2013 04:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
I think a lot of people are missing that completely nerfing the bloated status is pretty dumb--what is the point of even having it then? It serves a useful purpose and is fine as-is.
I agree. While a vomit command would make certain forms of scumming easier, that's probably more a reason *not* to implement it than it is the reverse.

The only variant of the idea I kind of like is the potion that induces vomiting. It could be rare enough to not be easily abused, yet it would exist and so might occasionally be helpful.

01-07-2013 06:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Black Mantis
The only variant of the idea I kind of like is the potion that induces vomiting. It could be rare enough to not be easily abused, yet it would exist and so might occasionally be helpful.
The only difference between introducing such a potion, and altering stomacemptia to be able to be used while bloated, is the source (and therefore rarity) of the item.

I don't believe it qualifies as abuse, since the purpose of stomacemptia is already to empty the stomach.

I actually submitted a bug report earlier stating "Stomacemptia cannot be eaten while bloated," the consensus of players was that it is not a bug, but intended behavior. However, no word from the developers on that topic, so the data isn't conclusive.

01-07-2013 07:04 PM
Ancient Member
just add it as a side effect to some other potion - one that is not originally intended for drinking, i'd think. more remotely should not sickness lead to occasional vomiting? Enjoy some potion of sickness then.

01-07-2013 08:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
The only difference between introducing such a potion, and altering stomacemptia to be able to be used while bloated, is the source (and therefore rarity) of the item.

I don't believe it qualifies as abuse, since the purpose of stomacemptia is already to empty the stomach.

I actually submitted a bug report earlier stating "Stomacemptia cannot be eaten while bloated," the consensus of players was that it is not a bug, but intended behavior. However, no word from the developers on that topic, so the data isn't conclusive.
The whole point of being bloated is that you're too full to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel
just add it as a side effect to some other potion - one that is not originally intended for drinking, i'd think. more remotely should not sickness lead to occasional vomiting? Enjoy some potion of sickness then.
That works too. I was thinking along similar lines. Perhaps a potion of oil or something, so the repercussions aren't so dangerous.

01-07-2013 09:01 PM
Ancient Member
Potion of sickness (or sickness in general) causing vomiting isn't a bad idea, IMHO. It's more plausible than a pristine Mist Elf or gluttonous troll vomiting on command, at least.

Of course, sickness in the early game is already pretty dangerous, and occasional vomiting might make it considerably worse.

01-07-2013 09:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
Just curious: what would happen if you submitted it as an RFE instead of a bug?

01-07-2013 09:47 PM
Excessive alcohol consumption also leads to vomiting, so more than X potions of booze within Y number of turns could perhaps also be a legitimate method; X here being influenced by the character's weight and Y being influenced by the character's metabolic speed (for the purposes of ADOM, their healing rate). This would make it a lot harder for, say, trolls to get drunk enough to vomit.

01-09-2013 02:52 PM
The Creator
For me this is too disgusting to implement. And it IMHO just takes away some strategical thinking...

06-25-2013 07:38 AM
What tools are those? You can't eat stomacemptia while bloated. Amulet of hunger? That's pretty rare. Only reliable tool seems to be to 'w'ait, 'w'ait, and 'w'ait some more...
Get Strained!
Wear lots of artifacts
Wear invisibility items
Move rather than stand still

06-25-2013 06:38 PM
Seems like the creator has spoken.

For my part, I think it could be an interesting mechanic, but the crucial element missing is very real and perhaps relatively severe penalties, e.g., permanent stat loss to important stats like toughness and strength after being used 2-3 times. That way someone might find some use for it early in the game if they encounter an out-of-depth monster which they can't outrun while bloated/satiated. Alternatively, it could find some limited use in the late game if the PC encounters a Giant Vault and tends to avoid herbs.

06-26-2013 02:03 PM
you can add a penalty to this and have it cost HP and possibly abuse toughness a little to balance it?

+ Reply