Resurrecting an RFE from the old site: Better De-evolution corruption
issueid=2247 07-22-2013 11:17 AM
Number of reported issues by mike3: 6
Resurrecting an RFE from the old site: Better De-evolution corruption
As mentioned in an old RFE, not all races should devolve to "apes"

Hi.

I saw this old RFE request on the old site, which seemed like a good idea to me, that'd add some richness to the game:

http://www.adom.de/adom/report.php3?ident=1744

They suggest the effect of the “de-evolution” corruption ("you look somewhat apish", etc.) should depend on species (“race”). It doesn't make sense that a drakeling, for example – a lizard creature – should de-evolve to look more like an ape. So I'd suggest re-proposing the idea mentioned in that post, that different species/races should de-evolve differently. I'd also like to add some suggestions for the newfangled Mist Elves and Ratlings:

Mist Elves: These are supposed to have originated from the “Mists” of creation... supposedly incredibly far back. So, I'd imagine their regression to then be towards the state of the primordial otherworldly mist, losing more and more their connection to material reality and becoming more and more sublime or ethereal. What this would mean in game terms is that in addition to the stat changes for elves as mentioned in the original post, the “touch of impure metal” thing should become more and more severe. First, the damage done by iron would start to increase. Then, at some point, mithril would start to become slightly damaging (maybe 1 damage point every 100 turns), then get worse (the 1 damage point becomes more frequent, e.g. 95 turns, 90 turns, etc.) up to some point (perhaps less than iron, e.g. 1 damage point every 10 turns maximum), then after that adamantium begins to hurt (starting again at say 1 dp/100 turns and going down to 1 dp/30 turns). Eternium remains safe. However, I'd suggest this process be very, very slow, otherwise it could be too harmful to gameplay. Removing the corruption would, of course, remove this effect, and the counter would be reset for the next time the corruption appears (if it does). In addition to this, every 4 turns of the "remember your ancestors" message, there would be a gain of 1 Mana point.

Ratlings: These would, naturally enough, regress toward more rodentlike forms. I'd suggest St -1, Le -1, Dx +2, Pe -1. Note that the Pe decrease isn't 100% realistic if you interpret “Pe” as “sensory power”, but is necessary given the limitations of ADOM's perception system. Rats have very poor visual acuity, thus we want the view circle to shrink as the eyes regress, but their hearing goes up into the ultrasound. However, hearing frequency range is not modeled in ADOM's limited sense model. I suggest -1 to force the loss of eyesight, despite that in the “world behind the game”, I'd imagine their hearing frequency range to be expanding. In addition, rats have good noses so their sense of smell should also go up, but ADOM doesn't use smell as far as I can tell.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2247
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-22-2013 02:39 PM
While the concept could be fun, I can't see this as being anything but a total nightmare to program. There are a lot of races, and devolving would do a lot toward them. Instead of 'devolving', you could simply change it to 'You feel yourself twisting into an apish monstrosity'. That way the implication of devolution isn't there; you're simply mutating.

07-22-2013 02:50 PM
Ancient Member
Well, this makes me ask all questions about evolution in a fantasy world, gods and creation, etc.

Much less to think over if the word 'apish' just wasn't present.

Maybe 'primitive' is a better word.

07-22-2013 06:45 PM
Ancient Member
I agree with Kurasu.

07-22-2013 08:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
While the concept could be fun, I can't see this as being anything but a total nightmare to program. There are a lot of races, and devolving would do a lot toward them. Instead of 'devolving', you could simply change it to 'You feel yourself twisting into an apish monstrosity'. That way the implication of devolution isn't there; you're simply mutating.
I'm not sure how it'd be so difficult to program, except perhaps the metal-burning part. Otherwise it's just a matter of adding a couple of "if" or "switch" blocks to select among the stat changes depending on the PC's race.

07-22-2013 10:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1

Maybe 'primitive' is a better word.
The same stats, but 'You feel yourself twisting into a primitive monstrosity'? I could see that working as well, if being apish causes so much discomfort with people.

07-23-2013 06:13 AM
Ancient Member
Occam's razor.

+ Reply