Pickpocketing bones from skeletons should damage them
issueid=2232 07-11-2013 03:40 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Pickpocketing bones from skeletons should damage them

ADOM has a bunch of odd interactions in various places that help add some flavour and make the game interesting.

At the moment if you pickpocket a skeleton and get a bone it's vaguely amusing. It would be even more entertaining if that actually did damage to skeletons - say 1d6. For low level skeletons this gives a chance to kill them, perhaps with the message "the skeleton falls apart". There could be a rare funny achievement for this - "Bone To Pick".
Issue Details
Issue Number 2232
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 19
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-12-2013 08:17 AM
Ancient Member
For some reason, when I read this proposal the word silfir comes to mind.

07-12-2013 02:53 PM
Ancient Member
No. First, if we accept that skelies can have all sorts of things in their inventory, what is so wrong about them having a bone from a different monster?

07-12-2013 07:45 PM
Ancient Member
Voted yes for funny!

07-12-2013 09:40 PM
I'm unsure of the 'damage' portion. I don't see harm in it, and I think it would be hilarious, but the fact you're picking a *VERY* random item makes me have trouble working it out in my head. The achievement, when this goes on Steam? Hell. Yes. *That* I'm 100% for. :D

08-01-2013 10:22 PM
"I'm unsure of the 'damage' portion."

If that doesn't inflict damage, then why would any other type of melee attack inflict damage? You are removing part of their body, just the same as if you knocked it loose with a warhammer.

08-03-2013 10:41 AM
If that doesn't inflict damage, then why would any other type of melee attack inflict damage? You are removing part of their body, just the same as if you knocked it loose with a warhammer.
The thing is, you're not removing a portion of their anatomy. You're pickpocketing a random 'bone'. If you had a higher chance to pickpocket bones from a skeleton than from anything else, I would be in agreement that you're removing a portion of it. As it is, you're only pickpocketing a bone because of a random choice on a table that happened to correspond with 'bone'. I.E. it happened to have a bone in its pocket/pouch/whatever.

For all I know, there *is* a higher chance. I don't know, but I didn't think different monsters had a different pickpocket table. ;) If there *is*, then you can ignore what I said above: it's obvious that you were *intended* to be treating bony skeletons as having more bones, and it would make more sense to me to inflict damage on yoinking one out.

My mind considers achievements to be flexible, and not necessarily to involve 'intelligent gameplay'. So having an achievement for a random bone-grab doesn't strike me as confusing; it's just an achievement for a random chance. It would be *annoying* to try and get it, but it wouldn't hurt anything.

08-03-2013 01:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
The thing is, you're not removing a portion of their anatomy. You're pickpocketing a random 'bone'. If you had a higher chance to pickpocket bones from a skeleton than from anything else, I would be in agreement that you're removing a portion of it. As it is, you're only pickpocketing a bone because of a random choice on a table that happened to correspond with 'bone'. I.E. it happened to have a bone in its pocket/pouch/whatever.
Ah. You're right. That is a pretty logical argument. I don't know what to think now.

08-03-2013 10:42 PM
Well, if it's not such a removal of anatomy now, why not make it one? Add a slightly higher chance to pickpocket bones from skeletons. Perhaps maybe as you reach to pick its "pocket", one bone is looser or something and you end up grabbing it.

08-03-2013 11:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mike3
Well, if it's not such a removal of anatomy now, why not make it one? Add a slightly higher chance to pickpocket bones from skeletons. Perhaps maybe as you reach to pick its "pocket", one bone is looser or something and you end up grabbing it.
See, if there was a higher chance to pickpocket bones from skeletons (like there's a higher chance for them to drop when you kill them)? I would be *all* for the 'doing damage when you pickpocket'. :) As I said above. But I think that should be a different RFE?

08-05-2013 10:57 AM
Ancient Member
If you want to talk logic, why the hell do skeletons have pockets? :P It's a joke suggestion, much in the style of other odd jokes in the game like exploding frogs. Your logic has no place here! ;)

08-08-2013 03:14 AM
"Skeletons ain't got no where to stick their money, nobody makes britches that size"

"And besides, you're a ghost to most before they notice that you ever had a hair or a hide"

There are actually the lyrics to a song called "a ghost to most" by a band called Drive by Truckers.

This talk of skeletons and pockets made me think of them.

Not really on topic, this discussion just reminded me of that.

+ Reply