Higher metal gauntlets
issueid=1929 02-11-2013 05:21 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Higher metal gauntlets

Currently, elemental gauntlets (rarely Ironfist and fresh Montojja gloves) are often the most common choice (more of a no-brainer) to hazardous areas. This obviously happens because they are indestructible protecting themselves as well as rings underneath. However, elemental gauntlets display somewhat poor DV/PV properties (and normally by the end-game granted intrinsics don't really matter).

All other gauntlets can be improved with scrolls or smithing but are vulnerable to elemental damage, being made of iron/leather.

Finally, there are no non-leather gauntlets that are Mist Elf-friendly, but that is a minor issue.

While I'm generally against adding higher-metal equivalent of existing items to exhaust our "new item pool", I feel that adding mithril/adamantium/eternium gauntlets is somewhat reasonable. I would even suggest moving <color> dragon-hide gauntlets into mithril territory and adding only adamantium/eternium normal gauntlets, but I feel that will completely nullify elemental gauntlets value (although still a reasonable choice for ToEF with water orb equipped).
Issue Details
Issue Number 1929
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-11-2013 06:07 PM
I strongly support both higher quality metal gauntlets, and upgrading dragon-hide gauntlets to higher metal types. I'd personally suggest adamantium, to be consistent with dragon hide armors, but anything would be better than iron.

02-11-2013 06:39 PM
Ancient Member
I am not sure what you are saying will nullify the elemental gauntlets value, but if it is the dragon-hide gauntlets, that is definitely not the case. They have one resistance and offer only 2 PV usually, compared to 3 from elemental gauntlets. They're pretty worthless (after elemental gauntlets, obviously. before then, they can be a lifesaver) and even if they were made of mithril (or adamantium), you'd still discard them quickly.

02-11-2013 07:09 PM
not exactly, they still can be upgraded, either by smithing or scrolls, while EG can't. EG also don't offer stat boosts like Ironfists/Montojja do, so dragon-hide gauntlets made from admantium would be a fair competition

02-11-2013 08:19 PM
Ancient Member
Evaluated in isolation, this change would be nice.

Taking into account the limited number of items that are going to be added, to be honest I'd prefer more interesting stuff instead of three more generic numeric templates in a category where there are good items already.

02-11-2013 09:39 PM
I feel the same way as Al-Khwarizmi on this one. Higher metal gauntlets aren't non-fitting thematically, but we don't really need them, and it'd be nicer to have more interesting items.

02-12-2013 09:47 AM
Ancient Member
For all who are somewhat against the change, I suggest actually voting ;)

Honestly, thought, what new items are actually probable? We have 13 slots left and I hope Thomas will actually add metal whips/other whips (4+ slots). I haven't actually seen radically new and interesting item ideas so far, aside from TPtitis blocking ring/amulet.

+ Reply