Make Charisma/Appearence useful
issueid=1870 01-28-2013 12:59 PM
Number of reported issues by Citronvand: 6
Make Charisma/Appearence useful
Charisma enables you to talk to and recieve quests from NPCs that would normally refuse

I think we can agree that Charisma and Appearance is more or less regarded as useless attributes. It is pretty much ok to walk around with 1 charisma/appearance. My suggestion is that a high Charisma OR Appearance enables you to talk to and receive quests from characters who normally wouldn't talk to you. Right now the only option is to convert to a different alignment. I am very much against this sort of behavior since I enjoy roleplaying (pen and paper) and it is very out of character and meta-gamey to briefly do good things to receive a quest/item and then proceed to be evil again.

In a roleplaying game the correct in-character behavior would be to use wits/charm/persuasion/lies/threats to accomplish the goal and I think Charisma and to a lesser degree Appearance could be all that. Different characters would require different amount of Charisma to be "persuaded" successfully, the ratling traders for a Chaos Knight wouldn't require that much while "persuading" Khelvastar to summon the TotRR would require very high Charisma for a chaotic character.

This wouldn't just make Charisma useful but also lessen the amount of boring bits such as sacrificing 200 gold pieces one at a time.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1870
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 14
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-28-2013 04:21 PM
Ancient Member
Anything that makes them worthwhile is welcome. If you don't play with companions, those two stats are virtually useless, and if you do, Ap remains so. I don't even bother blessing potions of (potential) charisma and appearance.

02-10-2013 09:48 PM
The only use I've found for Appearance so far is making my elven characters female for more palatable shop prices (since shop prices for females are affected by Ap rather than Ch). They typically have Appearance values upwards of 20 from the get-go, which slightly balances out the uncomfortably high pricing for elves in general. Charisma is somewhat harder to get that high unless you sink money into Garth. It would be good to see Appearance do something for non-elven non-females.

+ Reply