Improve Stun Ray
issueid=1919 02-09-2013 05:42 AM
Number of reported issues by Andur: 23
Improve Stun Ray
This spell/wand is practically useless

The stun ray spell and wands of stunning are virtually useless as they currently are implemented. Everything even low level monsters just shrugs them off all the time, much less anything nastier that you actually would like to stun.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1919
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-09-2013 11:26 AM
They are good enough, working often on decently strong or simply troublesome monsters [cats, minotaur mages, great water dragon]... I think there's no need to beef them up

02-09-2013 12:51 PM
Ancient Member
I don't know if anything changed in the pre releases but I've stunned the ACW with a blessed stun wand before.

02-09-2013 03:18 PM
I have too in 1.1.1, but I couldn't get it to work in p9.

02-09-2013 04:26 PM
ACW seems to have been buffed resistance-wise lately, but I never really found him that problematic.

Maybe cause of my tendency to soften him up with a PoCC

02-09-2013 05:35 PM
Ancient Member
Stun rays don't seem to follow the usual chances for bolt-shrugging as other spells. Monsters like kobolds, orcs and cats seem to shrug them off too often in comparison with regular spells - I've had cats ignore them several times in a row, which never happens with fire bolts, for instance. I think that's what Andur wants to change here, and in that case, I agree.

02-09-2013 08:37 PM
I've rarely ever seen it stun anything more powerful than a rat... Which is pointless to stun.

02-09-2013 08:39 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Stun rays don't seem to follow the usual chances for bolt-shrugging as other spells. Monsters like kobolds, orcs and cats seem to shrug them off too often in comparison with regular spells - I've had cats ignore them several times in a row, which never happens with fire bolts, for instance. I think that's what Andur wants to change here, and in that case, I agree.
Very valid point - agreed and voted on :)

02-09-2013 09:31 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I believe that part of the problem with stun ray effectiveness is that it gets a double check. First, the monster can dodge the ray, and second, the monster can resist the ray. So it's actually somewhat lower probability of hitting than other bolt spells, and much more sensitive to luck and casting attributes.

+ Reply