Let only intrinsic speed affect experience gains
issueid=5524 10-27-2017 10:49 PM
Number of reported issues by sillihai: 43
Let only intrinsic speed affect experience gains

Experience gains from killing monsters are still affected by PC speed... You're penalized for drinking speed boost potions, and wielding/wearing speed-boosting gear during the final blow. On the other hand casting 'slow monster' on yourself seems to double the gains, and is easily abused. This should be changed so that only intrinsic speed affects the xp gain. One might argue that speed boosts reducing the xp is justified, and that it's a tradeoff you choose to take. But at least the 'slow monster' abuse should be fixed at this point.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5524
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-28-2017 12:22 PM
Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, having high speed is the one thing that makes the game incredibly easier for every class, so penalizing it in some way feels justified. On the other, so does reducing energy cost—which isn't penalized in any way and is far more effective as well; a pair of blessed 7LB alone provides an endgame-worthy equivalent to movement speed increase, and there are also class powers that match or outperform it (not to mention you can stack both).

It occurs to me that to make things more fair, either both speed and energy cost should affect XP gain in some way, or neither of them. And in both cases net change in XP gain should be equalized with the current state, so the typical progression doesn't feel significantly different. Individual penalties for either parameter, in case both are penalized, would be lower—this would by extension make the Slow Monster abuse less rewarding.

10-28-2017 01:02 PM
Movement energy cost is different from melee attack energy cost, so it doesn't necessarily make melee fights easier. For ranged and casters though it's another matter. It would make sense to give a different penalty for different fighting styles but that gets so complicated.

As for speed I don't like that you can have speed-boosting gear equipped when fighting someone like Nuurag-Vaarn, and even if the fight lasts 50 turns you can still take them off for the final blow to maximize your xp. It's a bit silly.

10-28-2017 08:25 PM
No i dont like this. Having to get enough xp for an ultra is very hard sometimes and slow monster helps cut down on tedious grinding to get XP. Its always a risk to slow yourself even if they wounded they can rage. Slowing yourself makes you very vulnerable, and you should be rewarded for doing so.

The system is good the way it has always been. Penalty on XP for speed, and bonus XP for slow.

10-28-2017 11:28 PM
While changing the XP reward according to the speed of the PC always made at least some sense to me, the punishment of losing 50% of the XP if you actually use Slow Monster in the most obvious way possible seems overly punishing. Slow is hardly the most debilitating status effect - confusion, blindness, stun, and paralyzation are all much more potent - yet it is the only one that inflicts this XP penalty. I can only wonder how confusing this might be to a new player who happened to start with a spellbook of Slow Monster and keeps wondering why their XP gains are lacking.

+ Reply