Make rings of searching perform extra searches
issueid=2142 05-21-2013 03:18 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Make rings of searching perform extra searches
Current behaviour of rings is very weak

Currently: Ring "improves your searching capability". In practise this is not noticeable.

Proposed: Make it perform a search every turn, like the thief power. This would make it useful in both early and late game. Perhaps search every turn whilst blessed, every 2 turns uncursed, every 5 turns when cursed.

Note that traps are really a nuisance you can do little about in the game. With a reliable ring of searching and good investment in Detect Traps this would make traps less of an annoyance. But of course at the cost of a ring slot, so this power would not come free - it would still be up to player choice.

Possible Objections: Might it make the thief level 6 power worthless? No, since they would get double effect, or more ring slots. Besides, it's only a level 6 power - lots of other level 6 powers are not useful or made redundant by items.

Might it make trapped areas easier? No, just less tedious with the right equipment choices - we all spend ages manually searching these areas already, especially in preset layouts. Traps are not really a threat in the game apart from early game low HP characters.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2142
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-21-2013 04:02 PM
Ancient Member
"...Detect Traps this would make traps more of a nuisance."

You mean less of a nuisance.

Maybe a cursed one could make 's'earching impossible.

05-22-2013 08:47 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
"...Detect Traps this would make traps more of a nuisance."

You mean less of a nuisance.
Thanks, fixed.

06-12-2013 11:07 PM
I really like this idea. I would, however, go with the 'cursed makes searching impossible'. Or if you really want to be evil, searching is possible, but it's an automatic failure. Especially if the ring isn't automatically ID'ed when it's equipped.

Of course, if you do this, I'd also make the rings a little rarer. I find them left, right, and centre. The power might not be game-breaking, but I would consider it a high priority ring-slot if they did this.

+ Reply