[Interface] By default, try to switch positions with friendly monsters
issueid=1333 11-09-2012 11:11 AM
Number of reported issues by b0rsuk: 5
[Interface] By default, try to switch positions with friendly monsters

I'm currently playing a druid. Druids pacify all levels by default, and if a worm appear you quickly end up with a level full of these beings. If you don't want to end up chaotic, you must constantly switch positions with worms - :s . You would think a player would be happy for having dozens of non-hostile monsters around !

This is a lot of typing and makes travelling through worm-infested corridors a terrible experience.

At the very least, I should be able to simply displace friendly monsters by moving into them. Even better, make it possible to use 'long walk' commands (w-direction) to travel through worm fields. Wands of door creation help, but they're absent in my game and that doesn't fix the fundamental interface problem. Attacking a non-hostile monster is rare enough that it can have a separate key. "Lusting for blood" can be a special case if you want to make your interface bad.

(For example Crawl has * for attacks, and it allows you to "force attack" on a square, even swing weapon in the air. It is useful when you want to hit an invisible monster but hold your ground. If you use that key to attack, you will attack an invisible monster if it's on the suspected square but you will not move forward if it's empty.)
Issue Details
Issue Number 1333
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 15
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-09-2012 01:53 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
One could integrate it with the tactics settings - on defensive or lower it presumes you want to switch, on anything higher it asks if you want to attack. On true berserk obviously it just attacks :)
I like it. Gives the tactics setting a little more strategic value in addition to its... tactical value.

One of the few things I remember from my very first days of learning ADOM, is that the concept of a tactics setting was new and alien and difficult for me to keep track of. If this change were to be implemented, perhaps an extra blurb in the manual would also be helpful.

+ Reply