Message when hurting monsters with elemental damage
issueid=1888 01-29-2013 09:43 PM
Number of reported issues by aerol: 71
Message when hurting monsters with elemental damage
About the message displayed when hurting monsters with elements they're vulnerable to

When hurting monsters in melee, with missiles or with spells, ADOM displays the message "the foo is slightly/moderately/etc injured" if it's a living being and "slightly/moderately/etc damaged" if it's an undead, construct, etcetera. Also, in 1.1.1, when a monster was hurt by elemental damage it was vulnerable to, the message displayed would be "the red dragon is badly injured by the ice blast!" or "the steel golem is badly injured by the crackling lightning bolts!". So "badly injured" was displayed for both monster types.

Because of this inconsistency in 1.1.1, somewhere in the prereleases (I believe it was in p1) these later messages were changed to "the red dragon is painfully injured by the ice blast" and "the steel golem is very effectively damaged by the crackling lightning bolts".

Even though these new messages are not technically grammatically incorrect, it's my opinion, shared by others I've talked to, that they don't sound quite right in English. They sound wooden, clunky, and not quite right.

So, I suggest changing the messages to "badly injured" in the case of a living being and "badly damaged" in the case of an undead/construct/etc. This would be consistent, sound good in English, and convey the important extra information: namely, that the monster is vulnerable to the element that just hurt it.

Edit: reworded for clarity and corrected innacuracies
Issue Details
Issue Number 1888
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 12
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-19-2013 07:15 PM
Issue Changed by jt