Possibility to move UI elements, usablity
issueid=5554 10-30-2017 04:59 PM
Number of reported issues by emilus: 48
Possibility to move UI elements, usablity

Hi, is there possibility to add drag & drop feature for all UI elements and also possibility to remove particular UI elements ?

I would like to have message log in top left corner and rest of ui elements placed old-school way on bottom of screen

Also could you bring back old ctrl+n, m feature for enabling classic ascii hud, and hotkey for switching on/off ascii mode ?

Thank you.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5554
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.7
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-30-2017 06:41 PM
The Creator
F10 still works for switching between ASCII and graphics.

10-30-2017 06:57 PM
Hmm strange for me it only show / hide minimap. (v 2.3.6)

10-30-2017 07:12 PM
Ancient Member
Technically speaking, F10 switches between two different NotEye configurations, not necessarily tiles and ASCII. It's possible you have two separate configurations that are both tiles or both ASCII (in which case you would need to change the configuration of one them with CTRL+m).

10-30-2017 07:18 PM
Grond thanks now F10 is fixed for me ... but what about ctrl+n,m ?

10-30-2017 07:36 PM
Eh i am going OT... I think it will be great if we had some options in new HUD elements placement.
If drag & drop option is hard to realise...
so maybe we can have switch / option that will make message log on top-left of screen and hud on bottom optionally ?
Also I think that for most old players right panel should be optional.
I think when somone master basic hotkeys there will be no need to use right UI panel.

10-30-2017 07:56 PM
The Creator
BTW we right now are discussing if we should move the HUD to the bottom of the screen and the messages to the top. Similar to ASCII ADOM.

Especially as test players in our UI/UX lab continue to miss new/important messages in the bottom left... the place just feels wrong the longer I think about it. Maybe both tiled mode and ASCII mode need to share the same classic layout...

10-30-2017 08:05 PM
I personally would love to have the tiles message buffer placed at the top. There are quite a few other roguelikes that I play (Cogmind, NetHack, Caves of Qud come to mind) that have the message buffers at the top and it just feels right...

10-30-2017 08:15 PM
Hi Thomas, personally, I have no problem reading messages on the bottom left. TOME another roguelike also displays its messages on the bottom left, I think most video games display the health bar/stats on the top of screen, and the messages on the bottom left.

I personally strongly prefer they stay on the bottom left as they always have been in Tiles mode. I think overall most tiles players are satisfied with the location of messages too because I havnt seen any complaints about it myself, and a lot of us I'm sure have also gotten quite comfortable with the positions of the information in tiles.

10-30-2017 08:17 PM
I don't particularly mind either way, but it could at least perhaps solve my current issue of the PC's and monsters' HP bars and possibly their upper halves or in extreme cases (e.g. IQD upper rows) the entirety of them getting blocked out by the HUD.

10-30-2017 08:55 PM
For many new players it could be fine as it is but as for myself I personnally find hard to follow all important messages on my 16:10 19" monitor... also 'F'-shaped pattern is known as best for speed reading. Also most of old adom players will prefer old HUD placement because any other placement will not feel 'natural' for them.

also IMHO message font colour should be by default neutral gray, yellow should be reserved for xp gains, completed quests, important messages etc.

Add all dynamic display counters, corruption meter and we will have almost perfect Adom UI.

10-31-2017 07:17 AM
Dunno about the rest of you guys but I absolutely refuse to play until ctrl+n, m is back ;(

10-31-2017 03:42 PM
FWIW, as of v72 I use the classic 2-line at the top interface. It was a well designed layout especially considering the times and inherent limitations of hardware/software. It is still a fine layout and the only reason I switch out of it is when the restrictive 2-line text capacity stops the flow. Then I switch back. If just that could be fixed, I for sure would love to keep using it.

11-02-2017 02:47 PM
I really can't play without old layout too.

11-04-2017 02:47 AM
I used to prefer the Ctrl+n m classic layout but honestly the three-line fade-out buffer is growing on me. I would prefer my stats at base and messages at top, though. The messages are just more eye-catching when they appear up there, which also negates some of the current necessity for the new pop-ups. Statistics need reading a little less frequently and should therefore be placed in a less immediate area of the screen, at least IMHO. It'd also give a few more words per line.
I would recommend that the message font stays bright - dark grey might not be light enough. Light grey or white might work with important messages in orange-yellow, but I'm relatively chill about the colour. It just needs to be at eye-level!
An easily accessible option to switch between layouts in the Settings menu would be good. If that were implemented it'd be easy to switch between even several different UI and message modes.

11-07-2017 07:08 PM
First of all good UI/UX should be symmetrical and very minimalistic.

Message log is most important part of it so it should be easily reachable by human eye.

To avoid message log spam I suggest to add tiny pop-up messages for only attack actions. (like on most H&Slash games)

Important parts such as HP bar and PP bar shoul be easily distinguishable (big enough)

EXP bar should be longest of all because small experience gains will not be noticable on small bar.

As somone noticed Attrribute bar is not that important but old way of presenting attributes for eg: St: 10 Le :20 was good because we are used to read from left to right - not from top to bottom...

Also there are labels missing for for example for dv / pv we have only icons...

I opt for making bars of icons for quick marked spells and skills also corruption bar/meter would be awesome.

All counters from dynamic display should be present in UI not just only parts of it.

Maybe if Graphician would make some more variations of UI we could choose which fits us the best (If drag & drop functionality is impossible to implement)

+ Reply