[RFE] Please provide some means of removing intrinsic teleportitis.
issueid=2728 02-20-2014 09:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] Please provide some means of removing intrinsic teleportitis.
Maybe a potion that can be drank or thrown at a teleporting monster.

I know I have raised this issue before.
I know I don't need to sip from pools.
I know teleportitis can be lost by sipping from a pool again.
I know I can perform time-consuming things in no-teleportation areas.

That said, please refrain from addressing the above things in your responses and if that's all you have to say about it, then just don't say it, I heard it all and it doesn't convince me in the least that the current situation is fine.

Now:
Practically every player sips from pools. Potential benefits are desirable and the most severe consequences, namely cursing and/or dooming can be removed via altar and high piety.
Other serious consequences like sickness, corruption, poisoning, elementals can all be mitigated/prepared for.
Personally, I feel the most severe potential drawback of pool-sipping is obtaining the dreadful teleportitis, on ANY CHAR.
I simply hate this intrinsic. I'm not posting this to discuss the intrinsic itself as I realize many players like it and some consider it the best thing to get from a pool, save for a wish.
Well I don't. I hate it a thousandfold. With teleport control or without, I don't care.

What I'm asking for is some means of removing telelportitis once obtained from pool.
I don't care about the cost, I can get doomed+cursed+poisoned+stunned+confused+bleeding+sick, get several points removed from all my stats and have 1d10 hostile greater balors summoned as a consequence of losing it, I will take that mighty opportunity GLADLY. Any time.
I will also gladly sacrifice a wish or 3 wishes IF that is what it takes to remove the damn thing. All I'm asking is a way to lose the intrinsic teleportitis somehow.
I realize that intrinsics are semi-permanent and cannot be simply lost other than via pool-sipping. I think however that teleportitis significantly affects characters that often perform time consuming tasks and makes them almost impossible to perform by the constant prompts.
Also I had a situation where I was starving and had no prayers left. Suddenly a pixie appears... needless to say it dropped a corpse. In a life threatening situation, I had to eat it.
I had teleport control but once all pools in the entire game were drained and teleportitis was still there, I shift+Qed the character out of pure rage.
That shouldn't take place, game elements as annoying as this should be removable somehow via roleplaying.

I like to build up my char slowly and over a long period of time, but I know this isn't the case with other players (mostly) and thus, fewer people complain about teleportitis.
My characters usually have several different methods of teleportation in every game, irrespective of class; I don't need intrinsic source which hits exactly when I don't need it and doesn't activate in life-threatening situations.
Every other negative intrinsic obtained from a pool can be mitigated: there are means of removing corruption, dooming, cursing, poison, sickness and anybody can kill snakes or elementals.
Even permanent invisiblity, though mostly desired, if obtained early can make arena quest impossible to complete, BUT there are potions of visibility. They are rare but they exist. They can be wished for or found randomly.

Maybe create potions of steadiness or anchoring or whatever the name could be. That's fine if they can block (on demand) teleporting ability ENTIRELY, but also include teleportitis, I will gladly make an archmage and wish for 10000 of those for personal use. But make it POSSIBLE.
Mentioned potions could add flavor by giving the option to throw at teleporting monsters to "steady" them - prevent them from teleporting for a set number of turns, depending on b/u/c etc.
I would prefer something permanent but this will do too.

Alternatively, just make it wishable. A wish for "steadiness" could result in a message "you suddenly feel steady".
It doesn't involve much coding at all. Just a neat little thing so useful for desperate players that hate the intrinsic and are willing to do anything to get rid of it.

Now to summarize:
- I don't care what the costs/consequences are of (semi) permanent teleportitis removal, just make it possible
- I don't care how it's implemented, be it an extremely rare item, complex and costly process or a potion like described above
- It doesn't disrupt the game difficulty; the balance is kept, only the annoying part is removed
- It doesn't ruin any lore elements

EDIT: Here's a (somewhat) related RFE: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2008
Issue Details
Issue Number 2728
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-20-2014 09:12 PM
Ancient Member
Definitely not, suffer this is ADOM.

02-20-2014 09:20 PM
I don't particularly care because I usually abstain from drinking from pools. But wouldn't be against a wish option that removes teleportitis. Would be sort of a waste of a wish IMHO, but who am I to judge...

02-20-2014 09:22 PM
Ancient Member
Stingray, I knew it you... you...!
I knew you were going to be against this!
I will find you and I will eat you.

Oh and by the way this is ADOM but it's constantly changing before our eyes, I don't see why this can't be changed as well.
I hope I don't need to mention your complete lack of any arguments against this RFE.

If somebody doesn't want telelportitis removed, they don't lose any wishes. They don't need to bother at all, literally nothing changes for them.
For someone like me, who really wants to get rid of it, a wish is a very small price to pay.

02-20-2014 09:30 PM
Ancient Member
Well, like Qui, I generally abstain from the pool lottery. Teleportitis is a fairly easy intrinsic to avoid getting, and is not that big of a deal most of the time, for most players (obviously there are exceptions to both). If people were insistent that this be a thing, I'd probably go with something like a "ring of grounding" that's been proposed in similar threads: The ring is autocursing; while wearing it the PC is completely incapable of teleporting by any means. So if you have teleportitis, you can block it, but you also have to give up teleport wands, teleport spells, etc., unless you're willing to waste a holy water every time you want to teleport.

02-20-2014 09:51 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, please that would work perfectly, I have no problems with being unable to teleport at all as long as I wear the ring. I'd rather just remove teleportitis via wish but if that's too "easy" for people, a ring is just fine.

02-21-2014 09:19 AM
Ancient Member
>I hope I don't need to mention your complete lack of any arguments against this RFE.

I think your continued suffering is. We had an RFE by you to remove it through a wish, which was upvoted and bumped by you not too long ago and now this lengthy one. Totally insistent and unnecessary, IMHO.

02-21-2014 12:58 PM
Just thought I'd drop this here: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1264

That's the RFE where I proposed the idea of "Teleport Prevention" as a new item effect.

02-21-2014 01:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
We had an RFE by you to remove it through a wish, which was upvoted and bumped by you not too long ago and now this lengthy one. Totally insistent and unnecessary, IMHO.
The only RFE that has anything remotely to do with removing teleportitis was about wishable pool intrinsics in general and somebody else mentioned removable telelportitis, which I of course supported.
So to counter your argument again: no I have not RFEd this before and the only one that is close to this is the wishable pool intrinsic RFE, which was somewhat forgotten among other RFEs, ever since pre12.
Perhaps that RFE was a bit too expansive, hence this one is a smaller variation, no less important in my opinion. Given some recent activities in the department of RFE implementations for pre21, I was hoping this could finally be noticed.

Also, Aielyn, some of those ideas are really neat, I like the concept of helm of astral stability and I upvoted that, though I am more interested in a permanent means of teleporitis mitigation.

02-21-2014 02:20 PM
Ancient Member
Well, there have been multiple +TPitis negating RFEs (there's another hanging out there). Sorry, but this RFE is completely pointless because you've barred us from talking about +TPitis at all, so we can't discuss the merits of adding an item.

P.S. I'm not opposed to having some sort of item, but +TPitis is way more common than a wish unless you're really scumming it up, so I don't really see the point of this over-the-top RFE in that respect either. More importantly, if it annoys you that much, you can just stop sipping pools - the advantages now-a-days are a bit less severe.

02-21-2014 07:26 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
Sorry, but this RFE is completely pointless because you've barred us from talking about +TPitis at all, so we can't discuss the merits of adding an item.
What's there to discuss? Either you support the notion of giving players an option to permanently get rid of it or you don't.
HOW it's done, if there's agreement that it should be done is entirely up to TB.
I don't mind discussing items that achieve the result, but my main interest is in permanently removing it, as items are temporary.

02-21-2014 08:31 PM
Ancient Member
There's a lot to discuss about +TPitis, why do you think there isn't? I, of course, do NOT support any means of permanently getting rid of +TPitis. That's crazy talk - you can't mess with most intrinsics on the player's whim without items [or monsters...technically you could add +TCtrl by wishing, I guess], why should you be able to remove +TPitis? Because a couple people have a very vocal and severe dislike for an overall-pretty-good intrinsic? This RFE doesn't even make any sense to me now because you talk about items CONSTANTLY (in fact, your precedent for this is potions of visibility!). I'm fine supporting an item that blocks +TPitis, just like we have for other intrinsics (preferably a piece of headgear).

If you don't want to chance getting +TPitis, you simply shouldn't sip from pools. There's plenty of OPTIONAL aspects of the game (ahem, Maze) where there is a risk to go with potential reward. If +TPitis is such a huge factor for you, it should tip the scales away from you sipping pools - not implementing hackneyed solutions to an almost nonexistent problem.

02-23-2014 07:08 AM
I think adding a ring, a cloak or boots of teleport prevention similar to the ring of the fish (auto-cursing, cursed stops it only 50% of the time) that can be wished for would answer this issue rather well. Unlike some of Blasphemous's other item requests I find this one quite reasonable as teleportitis can be agony even with control.

02-23-2014 04:31 PM
Make cursed pixie corpses remove it, perhaps?

02-23-2014 08:30 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by StViers
Make cursed pixie corpses remove it, perhaps?
That would be truly amazing.

02-23-2014 11:50 PM
The only thing that really bugs me about teleportitus is that having it+teleport control should turn it into some kind of power you can activate on demand rather than something you're prompted for all the time.

+ Reply