Rings of damage modifiers are inconsistent.
issueid=4370 08-07-2016 11:56 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Rings of damage modifiers are inconsistent.

Here's the situation:

When you have a weapon in your right hand, blessed ring of damage gives +7 to damage (possibly it's variable but in my current game, the damage goes from 5d6+20 to 5d6+27, I'm using executor).
When you put the ring on your left hand, the bonus is ~halved (+3).

However, I would expect that if I wield a weapon in my left hand and equip the ring of damage on that hand as well, the damage would again be +7.
It's still only +3.
I believe it's hardcoded that RoD grants higher bonus on the right hand and lower on the left, no matter which hand actually wields the weapon.

Instead, if RoD is on the same hand as the weapon, the bonus should be +7, no matter if it's left or right.
The chance to hit and damage are identical, whether you're right or left handed, thus I don't think adom has any concept of a dominant hand, with the exception of rolf's axe+shield combination.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4370
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Not a Bug
Priority 9
Affected Version ADOM r59
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-07-2016 01:04 PM
I never knew about the interaction to have the ring AND the weapon in the same (right) hand. That's what I got out of this, thanks for the report.

08-07-2016 02:54 PM
AFAIK all characters in ADOM are right-handed. There is one weapon which performs better in left hand though. Can't tell for sure but I remember seeing similar discussion here long ago.

08-08-2016 01:59 AM
Ancient Member
rolf was left handed

08-08-2016 06:03 PM
The Creator
Actually this is intentional. It's one of those minor details of ADOM. Usually "right" is the main hand and thus it "usually" is stronger. That's why the ring of damage works better on right hands.

08-08-2016 11:02 PM
Sorry, TB The Creator, isn't it unfair that ring affects both hands in the same way regardless of the hand it equipped in?
It's a bit illogical that if you equipped a weapon in the left hand you need to put the ring in the right one to get the maximum bonus. Being right hand the main one doesn't seem to be an excuse to buff a weapon in the left hand in a such unobvious way...

Could you please rethink a bit and maybe reconsider?

08-10-2016 11:30 AM
Ancient Member
I have always imagined that a ring of damage works better on the hand that wields a weapon because it somehow adds its magical "strength" to every swing of that weapon.
It would mean that whatever hand is in question, is irrelevant.
I think it makes more sense that RoD should work better when used on the same hand that wields a weapon.
That's more logical.

Dear Creator, I also ask that you reconsider this.
It's not a huge deal but with all the other nice things in the game that follow lines of logic, this stands out in a bad way I think.

+ Reply