Better character generator
issueid=640 11-16-2011 03:49 PM
Number of reported issues by ronarscorruption: 47
Better character generator

This can fall into two categories;

One, give us more options when generating a character. Point-buy stats? Selection of starting equipment? Right now, we have our race/class combination determining our equipment, which leads to cases like this.

Alternately, consider the skills bought when granting starting equipment, maybe? Something a little smarter than a two-handed spear and shield combo when you buy ranks in two weapon fighting. I want to maximize my damage output, here. ;)
Issue Details
Issue Number 640
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-16-2011 10:27 PM
I agree that you should be given a choice as to the type of weapon you start with--although such an option might only make sense for fighters or other melee-centric characters to have (currently I'd think it would be an option for fighters and thieves--commoners and tinkers should not get the choice).

I also agree that taking such things as the 'fighting with two weapons' skill into account when deciding the starting weapon(s) makes sense--though I'm not sure how it and the above could be implemented in such a way that they do not give an unfair advantage to fighters.

11-17-2011 01:01 AM
Ancient Member
Too many choices at the start of the game is boring. Much better to be able to quickly get into the game and enjoy it. Many characters won't last long, so time spent in creation screens is time wasted.

11-17-2011 01:03 PM
I don't see why it can't be both ways.

How about a set of settings, where you tell the system which options you want to be given, and which ones you want rolled randomly or chosen automatically (that is, always the same choice). This would satisfy both those seeking maximal control, and those who want to get straight into the game with minimal fuss.

+ Reply