[RFE] Increase decomposition time of corpses.
issueid=1789 01-18-2013 10:30 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] Increase decomposition time of corpses.

I had many situations where a monster dies and leaves a corpse.
When I pick it up, I immediately get the "your equipment seems to weigh less" notice, and the corpse is gone.
Sometimes it can disappear the very first turn it's generated.
I believe it rotted away but it happened way to quickly after the monster died.

There should be some minimum time for complete corpse decomposition after its generation from a slain monster, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
It happens mostly (if not exclusively) with corpses of common monsters - bats, goblins, orcs, kobolds...
Of course one could argue many monsters stink of rot anyway and the decomposition process might have already started while they were still alive but for the sake of realism, make it so that corpses "stick around" for 10-20 turns at minimum after being generated.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1789
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone ADOM Team Play Edition
Votes for this feature 18
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-18-2013 02:25 PM
Ancient Member
Food preservation skill already (mostly) solves this problem. Cooking too.

01-18-2013 03:27 PM
Ancient Member
In my experince it doesn't happen often that it is the very next turn, but I have had it happen. Especially dissapointing with the first blink dog corpse generated.

The 10 turns minimum sounds fair. Heck, even anything sounds better than one turn.

01-18-2013 07:32 PM
Ancient Member
Don't really see the need for this (it's pretty rare for it to rot within 2 or 3 turns); them's just the breaks.

01-18-2013 10:52 PM
I don't see this as a big deal either. Life is rough in the Drakalor chain.

01-19-2013 04:12 AM
It'd be nice if it was a tad longer. It's not gamebreaking for it to be short, but it's (surely) a small tweak and one that adds an extra smidgen of realism.

01-19-2013 05:30 AM
Agreed. Killing a monster and having its corpse rot away before you even have time to walk down the hall is... strange.

01-19-2013 06:18 AM
I haven't noticed a problem with corpses rotting in 1 turn.

What I have noticed is corpses that are being carried by a monster rotting as soon as they are dropped when that monster is killed.
Leave an orc or goblin on a level with a few corpses and ignore him for a long time, come through and kill him sometime later and watch as he drops 5 corpses which immediately rot as soon as they hit the ground.

I'm guessing this happens because the corpses are tied to the gameclock and programmed to rot after X number of turns, but when they're in monster inventory they can't rot, so they stay in there even well past the specified number of turns until they hit the floor and are able to rot again. Same thing happens if you leave a corpse or pile of corpses on the ground by the stairs and go up or down... Dick around down in the Unreal Caves for a few thousand turns, then come back up and watch your Ancient Stone Beast corpse rot away as soon as you come up the stairs.

01-19-2013 09:41 AM
Ancient Member
Not that it's a huge or frequent problem, but it does look a bit weird when it happens, so I'm for fixing it.

12-26-2015 02:24 PM
The Creator
This is surprisingly complicated as we'd need a creation timestamp in the item structure to handle timing aspects (which we currently do not have). When thinking about that I noticed that we do not yet have a correct version handling for items transferred over the net (e.g. with ghosts). Interesting stuff that needs to be added for team mode :-)

+ Reply